question about livewell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcatto

Reaction score
I have a 1969 starcraft deep-v I am converting to a fishing boat....

I want to build a livewell under the front casting deck using a Huge oval ice chest....

I cannot find any resources on how to build it....

I would like to to circulate water from the lake and drain if I need it to pump out....

I am sure someone knows how to do this....

I have a timer to run the aerator and pump on so it will cycle and not run all the time???

I have the ice chest... just need some advise....

thank you all in advance,
keven

thank you for the reply ober51....I all ready read that how to on the live well.

Then after re-reading my post I could see I was not very clear on the help I need...

I was interested in putting a through the hull connections so the livewell works like the ones in a bass tracker or lund etc...

I am sorry for the confusion....

this is an incredible resource on boat conversions, the best on the net I have found!!! thank you all, I feel privileged just to be a member...

keven

The only thing you need to do is put a livewell pump at the transom of your boat to bring in freshwater. You can put the switch where you want it to be able to do this. If you are just wanting to recirculate the water, then you would put the pump at the transom (or on the side of the boat as long as it remains underwater), wire that to your timed switch, and then put an overflow tube or drain at the top of your ice chest. The tube from this will run out above the waterline on the outside of your boat.

Personally, I would put the pump at the transom to bring freshwater in - wired to a switch.
Then put a 2nd livewell pump on your ice chest to recirculate the water you already have in your ice chest wired to the timed switch. It's better to do this than grab hot water after the sun has been out - just add a reusuable ice pack or something to the water to keep it cool.
Then put a drain in your ice chest to get rid of the water at the end of the day. You can run a tube from your ice chest to the transom to drain the water at the end of the day.

You can click on my link below, and go to like page 12 or 13... you can see how my livewell is done in my updated posts with a real livewell.

EXACTLY what I was wanting.... You guys are AWESOME!!!!

That is an awesome idea not to recirculate hot water from lake, less oxygen etc.... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Once again I am never disappointed in this forum.... This is my first real boat... I have been fishing out of a Gheenoe for years but I have wife and child now and they want to go.... so up graduating to bigger boat... and re-doing an old boat is better for me all around I get exactly what I want and the taxes, insurance etc.... all lower... i.e. just tagged it for three years for a whopping $21.00, that sure makes life grand....

russ010 said:
The only thing you need to do is put a livewell pump at the transom of your boat to bring in freshwater. You can put the switch where you want it to be able to do this. If you are just wanting to recirculate the water, then you would put the pump at the transom (or on the side of the boat as long as it remains underwater), wire that to your timed switch, and then put an overflow tube or drain at the top of your ice chest. The tube from this will run out above the waterline on the outside of your boat.

Personally, I would put the pump at the transom to bring freshwater in - wired to a switch.
Then put a 2nd livewell pump on your ice chest to recirculate the water you already have in your ice chest wired to the timed switch. It's better to do this than grab hot water after the sun has been out - just add a reusuable ice pack or something to the water to keep it cool.
Then put a drain in your ice chest to get rid of the water at the end of the day. You can run a tube from your ice chest to the transom to drain the water at the end of the day.

You can click on my link below, and go to like page 12 or 13... you can see how my livewell is done in my updated posts with a real livewell.

just holler if you need more help... someone is always around on this site (and I keep it open at work and check it about every 5 minutes!)