raising the gunnels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom q vaxy

Reaction score
i just started to read the "Decking" sticky and this gave me a thought:

Q: is there any value from a safety perspective to raise the gunnels of a Jon Boat?

i understand the design free-board would not change its effective dimension, but assumed the raised portion might act as a spray dodge in the event of wake or tip. the raised edge not to be considered structural in the sense the deck could be raised, too.

anyone have thoughts on this or is it just the ramblings of an old man waiting for the park to open so the pigeons can be fed?

I have thought of this too. Seems to me that you would want a rub rail channel or tube shape at the top edge, to get rigidity. Making it light weight will be key, as you don't want to make boat top heavy. If the modification isn't done with a professional look, it will greatly affect resale value.

To be honest, it will be much easier, & probably cheaper,to just trade for an extra-deep hull.

I'm not a boat designer, so this is really seat of the pants. Might be some improved comfort. Could be a safety issue if it gives a false sense of security. It would increase windage which can be a concern on small light boats.

Latest posts