Rate My Tanks!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
For your consideration, I present these 3 candidates. Which our keepers, which should I ditch? I may need to let one go tomorrow. The newer one doesn't appear to have a vent. Looks nice, but junk? The cap has the same thread as the vented tanks. Should I keep the newer one, but use old style cap?

Attachments

• Fuel Tanks 02.jpg
    Fuel Tanks 02.jpg
    174.1 KB
  • Fuel Tanks 03.jpg
    Fuel Tanks 03.jpg
    134.9 KB
  • Fuel Tanks 05.jpg
    Fuel Tanks 05.jpg
    138.5 KB
  • Fuel Tanks 07.jpg
    Fuel Tanks 07.jpg
    167.1 KB
From what I can see the hoses need trashed. Clean the tanks and inspect the pickup tube...is there a filter on the pickup ? I always add an inline filter to the hose. Those gray hoses only last a year or two, get a good quality A1 rated fuel line as they will last for many years. If your concerned about a vent, they are easy to add to a cap or the tank itself. If your going to keep a plastic tank, then keep the one with the least sun exposure, as this does shorten their lifespan.

From what I can see the hoses need trashed. Clean the tanks and inspect the pickup tube...is there a filter on the pickup ? I always add an inline filter to the hose. Those gray hoses only last a year or two, get a good quality A1 rated fuel line as they will last for many years. If your concerned about a vent, they are easy to add to a cap or the tank itself. If your going to keep a plastic tank, then keep the one with the least sun exposure, as this does shorten their lifespan.

They all look black to me and wouldn't be surprised if still in working order......or not. How do you add a vent? Sounds like a good idea. I've heard that unvented tanks blow up like balloons in the sun. Are tank threads universal?

In the first pic the hose looked to me like the creepy gray one's...., but in another pic you can see the hose is cracked near the fittings. Some pics make the hose look faded and dry as well as cracked. Your call, but hoses are not that expensive when compared to tearing down an engine fuel system to clean out hose particles. Go search Amazon for fuel tank vents, there are a few different types, some snap into a hole that you drill, some are screw in, some can go unto cap or tank body with the ability to open and close. I would never own a plastic tank without a vent. I can remember when the early ones came to market, my Dad's plastic tank swelled then split wide open at the seam !! Today's tanks are far better, they will withstand more pressure than you think but I wouldn't take the chance without some type of vent.

Your points are well taken, but these are sort of spares for me. I got two very nice metal tanks with the Crestliner, so I'll prob just keep one plastic one for the tinnies. As for clogging the carb, I have an inline filter on all my motors now. It fits under the hood. Think you've mentioned before you like external filters in the line from the tank, but so far I'm not seeing the benefit of that over one under the hood. Less clunky you know?

If somebody could point me in the direction of these vents that can be added I'd appreciate it. Then I could just keep the newer tank. Which is basically new. The guy I got a motor from bought it to get the motor running, then he could never get it running. He also had issues with the lines leaking which I don't get, but at any rate the tank and hoses are basically unused.

Your points are well taken, but these are sort of spares for me. I got two very nice metal tanks with the Crestliner, so I'll prob just keep one plastic one for the tinnies. As for clogging the carb, I have an inline filter on all my motors now. It fits under the hood. Think you've mentioned before you like external filters in the line from the tank, but so far I'm not seeing the benefit of that over one under the hood. Less clunky you know?
Can't have to many filters in my book....the inline filter is just visible for me, easier to watch and see if any junk passes thru.

Latest posts