Rebuilt my floors using Advantech!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveInGA said:
I asked at my local HD and Lowe's, but they looked at me like I had three heads. Tough to locate stuff in those conditions.

Dave,
All the Home Depot's carry it. It is in stock at the Commerce, GA Home Depot near you.

Go to the store and take the following info with you:

Home Advantage
23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Enhanced OSB Sub-floor Board
Model # 678661
Store SKU # 486701

This stuff looks like regular OSB. The good news for you is the it is 18.97 a sheet at your store. I think I paid 24.00 a sheet when I did my boat.

DaveInGA said:
I asked at my local HD and Lowe's, but they looked at me like I had three heads. Tough to locate stuff in those conditions.

Dave,
Check out this link to specs on Advantech.
https://huberwood.com/main.aspx?pagename=advanTechFloorSpec

It is actually made there in Commerce, GA.
I bet the mill has a outlet for selling it direct.

Dave, you can get it at Lowes in Buford. Looked at it today. You also can get it in Winder, Oakwood, Gainesville, Lawrenceville at Cofer Adams, 84 Lumber, ect.

https://www.advantechperforms.com/
1-800-933-9220

its the same as OSB. its going to swell up. it weighs a ton. weighs twice as much as normal plywood. it gets water logged if you dont water seal it. just go with 1/2 plywood, and seal it.

why would you put that much weight in your floor? :cry:
did you seal it? :shock:
you might as well went will osb [-X

Alumacraft said:
its the same as OSB. its going to swell up. it weighs a ton. weighs twice as much as normal plywood. it gets water logged if you dont water seal it. just go with 1/2 plywood, and seal it.

It might look like OSB - but it is no where near the same as OSB... read up on the stuff before you jump to conclusions

Alumacraft said:
its made for subfloors in houses. interior use.

Let me help you here.......... This stuff started getting popular in my construction days.... it was initially targeted at us new home-builders, because when the house is being built its exposed to the elements.... we used it a lot when building during the rain season. It worked excellent and held its shape w/out swelling. Don't knock something without trying or researching it first. :wink:

its made for subfloors in houses. interior use

From all its advertisement at the store, it clearly says water resistant, exterior grade. It does look like OSB but with the edges sealed or coated. The flat surface has a shine to it as maybe it has been sprayed with a sealent. I am sure if its cut you will need to reseal the cut edge.

water resistant Not water Proof :!:

you buy plywood throw a sealer on it and it is water resistant. :D

so what is so great about this product? besides it weighs a ton.

Alumacraft said:
water resistant Not water Proof :!:

you buy plywood throw a sealer on it and it is water resistant. :D

so what is so great about this product? besides it weighs a ton.

I know what your point is..... and I don't disagree..... I was only pointing out what it was designed for. What makes it great is that home builders don't take the time to seal the subfloors while building a house, and with this stuff you don't need to... on that note this is not something I would use in a boat myself.

y'all are right on - I wouldn't use it either after seeing the weight of it.. but for someone who needs to get something done quick, and they don't leave their boat exposed to the elements, it's dang near perfect.

I would still slap on a few coats of a sealer, but I guarantee you it would hold up better than the 1/2" ply in the floor of my boat right now because I had 2 days to get it in there before a tourney and it has been SOAKED probably 10 ways from Sunday since last year... I bet that sheet in my boat weighs more than the boat itself, and I am dreading the day I take it out this winter to redo it all...

russ010 said:
y'all are right on - I wouldn't use it either after seeing the weight of it.. but for someone who needs to get something done quick, and they don't leave their boat exposed to the elements, it's dang near perfect.

I would still slap on a few coats of a sealer, but I guarantee you it would hold up better than the 1/2" ply in the floor of my boat right now because I had 2 days to get it in there before a tourney and it has been SOAKED probably 10 ways from Sunday since last year... I bet that sheet in my boat weighs more than the boat itself, and I am dreading the day I take it out this winter to redo it all...

What are you gonna use to re-install your floors? Wood or alluminum?

Alumacraft said:

Physically it is nothing like OSB. It is completely impregnated with epoxy. There are no voids in the interior of the material, that is why it is heavy.

I researched this and other product for extensively before going with this.

People have left pieces of this stuff, UNSEALED, floating in ponds for months without any warping or swelling.

As for the weight, you are correct, I gained maybe 25 pounds per sheet over 1/2 ply by going with 3/4 Advantech.
Advantech is available in 5/8 which would resolve this issue, if it is an issue.

It may not be for everyone, but it will outlast sealed 1/2 ply in my boat.

russ010 said:

Once you saw the stuff and cut it, you would realize that sealing would be a waste of time, rain will not penetrate this stuff.

Shoot, I'm starting to sound like an Advantech sales rep. :lol:

As for the weight, you are correct, I gained maybe 25 pounds per sheet over 1/2 ply by going with 3/4 Advantech.
Advantech is available in 5/8 which would resolve this issue, if it is an issue.

All depends on the application. For me, 25 lbs would not mean nothing. My cooler ways more then that but I am not concerned with its weight when I put it in the boat and reach for a cold one. :) I guess in a 1236 one would be more weight conscious. Personally I would not use it for a boat floor but lids or deck extensions maybe. Can definably see its advantage when building homes.

cumberlandriver said:
Alumacraft said:

Physically it is nothing like OSB. It is completely impregnated with epoxy. There are no voids in the interior of the material, that is why it is heavy.

I researched this and other product for extensively before going with this.

People have left pieces of this stuff, UNSEALED, floating in ponds for months without any warping or swelling.

It may not be for everyone, but it will outlast sealed 1/2 ply in my boat.

Is it better than marine grade plywood?

Howard said:

All depends on the application. For me, 25 lbs would not mean nothing. My cooler ways more then that but I am not concerned with its weight when I put it in the boat and reach for a cold one. :) I guess in a 1236 one would be more weight conscious. Personally I would not use it for a boat floor but lids or deck extensions maybe. Can definably see its advantage when building homes.

Why not boat floors if weight is not a factor and you plan on using wood?

Just got off the phone with an Advantech engineer. Discussed using the product for boat decking and transom applications. He stated:

"We have received the question before. Advantech wasn't designed for applications where it would get wet on a regular basis and we discouraged it's use in such applications."

That's good enough for me. Takes too much work to install stuff to have to pull it out and do it again. Going to have to pass on this one.

DaveInGA said:
Just got off the phone with an Advantech engineer. Discussed using the product for boat decking and transom applications. He stated:

"We have received the question before. Advantech wasn't designed for applications where it would get wet on a regular basis and we discouraged it's use in such applications."

That's good enough for me. Takes too much work to install stuff to have to pull it out and do it again. Going to have to pass on this one.

X2