removing backlashes from a baitcast reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually hold my thumb on the spool and reel a few turns. It usually helps with the untangling. You might have to do it a few times.

Thanks for the great tip. I just purchased my first baitcaster and will probably see alot of birds nests :roll:

I've tried it and it works.. sometimes.

The best thing I've found to do is to keep your thumb tight on the spool as you pull the line out, and when you get to a snag, pull the line that forms the loop (while keeping your thumb on the spool, keeping your thumb on the spool prevents more line from running underneath the mess you have on top).

Just use both techniques in unison, but use the video technique last - I've had it screw me up more than help most times... I need to give him one of my "professional overruns" to play that technique on and see how well he does it..

I finally learned to set the casting drag pretty tight. Use at least a Half to Threequarters an ounce of weight, and when the line is going out, hold your thumb against the side of the spool, not touching the line. If you put your thumb on the line as the spool is going out, you'll loosen up the line ahead of your thumb and make certain you'll get loose line which AKA loop knots!

I use water filled floats for keeping near the surface.
I'm just a helpless mess if I'm called on to do anything other than what I just stated!

You put electrical tape around your spool after you have a bunch of line out, that way you cannot backlash past this point. I was never a fan of this, as I like to cast as far as possible, but it will save you a lot of line.

Latest posts