Replacement for Silicon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
Gents,
I have installed a bilge pump directly center aft at the bottom to transom seam. I installed it with silicon and it has stayed in place for a couple months. I've read here that silicon will corrode aluminum. Is there a good alternative? No I did not prime the surface. In fact, I got it down to smooth shiny aluminum. Is this an old wives tale and if not what is a good alternative?

I’ve heard the same so I’ve always sided with caution.
The big box hardware stores carry 4200 and 5200 silicone meant for marine use believe it’s made by 3m. If I were you and no sure what kind of silicone it is . I would strip it and start from scratch. Better safe than sorry.

Maybe you're right. But, I'm checking and don't see any other reference to it being corrosive except on this forum.

Their is a brand called 3 in 1 sealer or caulk.
It has been said here on Tinboats that this product is safe to use on aluminum.
I have no first hand knowledge.

I recently saw a guy on Youtube who took a piece of sheet metal and bent it into a 90. He then riveted the bilge to this homemade bracket and then riveted the vertical leg of the bracket to a transom brace or something. I think he added something thin to act as a small shim between the hull bottom and the bracket to keep it from vibrating.

To finish this up, I researched this because I wasn't looking forward to digging out all the silicone I used. Seems the corrosion thing was the case a long time ago. Newer silicone doesn't use an acid cure. I found this quote from a Temco rep:

"...that's a myth to a certain degree - what they are referring to is "acid cure" silicone - old 50-60 technology - the neutral cure silicones do not react with aluminum. Consider every high rise aluminum frame/glass building in the world is sealed with neutral cure silicone for the last 30 years."