Replacement Rivets and Transom Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowe

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a source for factory replacement rivets to aluminum boats. I really need to change the wood in my transom. Despite having the aluminum plated cap over it, I still don't like it being in bad shape. I know there will be a few riviets I have to remove and was wondering if someplace sold them. And if they are such a place, does it take a special rivet gun or can they be installed using your standard hand held gun?

Now to the other part of the post. How hard is it to change out the wood in the transom? With my old Lowe, it appears that all I would have to remove to get to the wood are the two caps on each side of the rear of the boat. After breaking the weld on them, I could then fold back the top piece capping the wood and remove it. Don't know if they is how it is done or not. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know of no place that sells rivets for specific boats. www.aircraftspruce.com is where I get mine.Boats use solid rivets that must be bucked.Only pop(cherry) rivets use a gun.If you have standard rivets with a dome shaped top, it would be best to buy a bucking bar to support the head of the rivet while hammering the other end to flare it out.I plan to use stainless steel bolts,washers, and lock nuts sealed with 3M 5200 marine sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.