Replacing the wood (seats, transom) on my Valco I just got

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
Today was my lucky day, while I was getting a lower service done on my 1995 Johnson 2 stroke I noticed a Valco U-12 sitting with a couple other boats the dealer (they specialize in older boats and engines) was selling to clear up space on the lot. The wood was rotten on the seats and transom but other than that the boat was in excellent condition. Basically some idiot had not stored his boat covered and ruined the wood. The dealer picked up the boat for $500 because it had an incredibly clean Evinrude 9hp on it and they originally planned to fix it up but now it was just taking up space on the lot that other boats could occupy.

valcoU12.jpg

To make a long story short, I bought the boat at a deep discount, put my Montgomery ward Jon on craigslist and loaded up my 12 foot trailer with the Valco. By the time we had the Valco loaded the Montgomery Ward had already sold!

My question is: are there any special things I should know about replacing the wood or is it just a matter of removing the old wood, cutting and sealing the new wood, and reassembling? Any good websites with instructions or a thread here?

On a side note I do have photos, what is a good photo hosting site to put them on so I can show you guys the boat?

Congrats on the new-to-you boat. Posting pictures easy, no other site needed. Just open your picture(s) in Paint, under the image tab select resize, and then select the Pixel button, and select 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 according to your picture's orientation, and "save as ...". Then post your picture using the "Chose file" and "Add File" buttons at the bottom of the reply box on this forum.
My new transom, as an example...
p.s. ... almost forgot, you can post them in the gallery on this site, and put a link in your signature too. #-o

"My question is: are there any special things I should know about replacing the wood or is it just a matter of removing the old wood, cutting and sealing the new wood, and reassembling? "
That pretty much is it in a nutshell. Be sure to use exterior grade or marine plywood due to the waterproof glue in them (if you use plywood, that is). If you layer the plywood, use a good waterproof glue to bond the layers. TiteBond III works well. Also, do not use treated wood products, as the copper and chemicals in the treatment will corrode your aluminum. I sealed mine with epoxy, but spar urethane will work well too. I have heard of some folks using waterproofing sealers like the kind used on decks and fences, but they may also contain chemicals that will corrode aluminum. Drill the holes a little oversize for your bolts (stainless) and coat the insides of the holes too.

Attachments

• New transom.jpg
    New transom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,012

Latest posts