required lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin92

Reaction score
I Live in tennessee and bought a 1436 flat bottom Jon boat,i plan on doing alotta night time catfishing...ive searched on required lights on the boat..but cant seem to make heads nor tails of it..any help id be greatful for....

A stern light & bow light is required here in Mich.I believe your state should be similar.

Go to Tennessee DNR site & look under boating laws.

Here ya go

https://www.tn.gov/twra/boatlight.html

Don't get the cheap ones from wally world. The ones that look like flashlights on a pole. I had some, Game Warden came up to check on us ,said and I quote " Boy, don't you EVER come out here on MY river with B** S**T lights AGAIN " :shock: and I didn't.

Charger25 said:
Don't get the cheap ones from wally world. The ones that look like flashlights on a pole. I had some, Game Warden came up to check on us ,said and I quote " Boy, don't you EVER come out here on MY river with B** S**T lights AGAIN " :shock: and I didn't.

They do get right funny about lights on a boat!!!! However, WalMart is now carrying an LED set from Attwood that are righteous!!! I bought a set for the canoe and actually received a compliment from a warden one morning when I was launching to go duck hunting. They are easy to mount and bright as all get out. They run on AA batteries and are well built.....

That bow light needs to be red/green (green on right) and the stern/anchor light needs to be white. The stern/anchor light (does not actually have to be on the stern) should be on the highest part of the boat and/or the highest point on the boat. This is to allow 360 deg observance by other boaters at all times, which is why they come on tall poles. Stern/anchor light on when anchored or running and the bow light on when running. Lights need to be visible at night for 2 miles.
Tim

yeah tell me about that leave it to stupid pa to use measurements no one else uses
lights.gif

shallowminedid said:
in my state of pa the anchor light must be 1 meter above the bi color bow light
Is US metric now ?!, congrats...afterall NASA is been using it for the last 35 years or so... =D>
Dan (In Canada we are metric...yet if you buy drywall or plywood is still sold the "american" old fashion way...same for "2x4" [-o< #-o ...no offence !
Dan

I believe its a federal requirement for the bow and stern lights. And yes the stern must be at least 3' higher than the bow lights, and above everything else in the boat so it is visible 360 degrees.

Latest posts