Reshape and Balance Propeller?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS4Jay

Reaction score
Can a propeller be reshaped and then balanced to get a little more life out of it?

Attachments

• IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9858.jpg
    IMG_9858.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9860.jpg
    IMG_9860.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 0
There are services in my area that rebuild and balance props. That one might be cheaper to replace.

I’m new to all this but propellers look really confusing.
Mine is marked 8 3/8x6. Still looking to see what came stock.
Looks like there are as many options as beers.

8 3/8 is the diameter and 6 is the pitch of the blades. Numerous dia and pitches are availiable to match the boat and weight. Fewer options on small motors under 10 hp, but as the hp increases so does the selection of different props. Sometimes the prop is changed or repaired and will be remarked by the repair person if the new dimensions are different.

If it's only 8 3/8 x6 it's not worth getting repaired. A new one will be less than $100, a decent repair would be at least $200

I could be wrong, but get the impression the poster is wondering if he could do this himself, not farm it out. I also wonder about this. Couldn't you remove the rough spots and balance it just like a lawnmower blade using a grinder? OK, I'm a noob too, so give me a break if this is a totally stupid idea....LOL

Couldn't you remove the rough spots and balance it just like a lawnmower blade using a grinder?
Yes, at least remove any high spots and do your best to smoothen gouges, but any prop worse than this is a candidate for a spare or recycling. Personally I've never worried about balancing small props like that ...

If it's only 8 3/8 x6 it's not worth getting repaired. A new one will be less than $100, a decent repair would be at least $200
I’m sure having a hard time finding a match.
TOHATSU PROP 4/5/6HP, 8.375" DIA X 6" PITCH (ELEPHANT EAR) WTF elephant ear???

I could be wrong, but get the impression the poster is wondering if he could do this himself, not farm it out. I also wonder about this. Couldn't you remove the rough spots and balance it just like a lawnmower blade using a grinder? OK, I'm a noob too, so give me a break if this is a totally stupid idea....LOL
Have a fishing buddy who tried this and ended up have to replace/rebuild his entire lower unit; I told him to just go get a new prop. but he was insistent on trying to fix what he had to save money, ended up costing him over 2K; just my thoughts!

Yikes! You guys laugh about it now though, right?

For minor gouges and bent edges, you might get away with, but getting one blade badly out or out of balance can ruin the bearings/ seals in the lower unit. I have done quite a few over the years, but non ever bad enough to require welding.. As a skilled toolmaker I had acess to the equipment to shape, and match the blades to each other as well as balancing the finnished prop. Small little nicks and gouges along the edges are usually not a big issue, but when you get into props that have material missing, that can become a real big issue !

I agree with AIRSHOT, minor maintenance or repairs can be done but as he said he is a skilled toolmaker so he has the tools and knowledge/understanding to accomplish this type of work.

With as rare as these Force 9.9 props are, I am really surprised some enterprising mechanic hasn't come up with a solution to modify a 10 spline prop from another MFG. to fit.

I made a Solas prop for a Suzuki/Honda work on my 65 Fastwin 18 after not being able to find a prop or a hub for it. Probably the reason nobody makes these is it would be too expensive and the market is limited. So you got to be that enterprising guy and make at least one, eh? Contact the major prop companies and see if they can fix you up. If remember right got the Solas from a place called Michigan Prop. There also may be a Force Facebook page. I found a rare part for my McCulloch through a FB page for McC enthusiasts.

I made a Solas prop for a Suzuki/Honda work on my 65 Fastwin 18 after not being able to find a prop or a hub for it. Probably the reason nobody makes these is it would be too expensive and the market is limited. So you got to be that enterprising guy and make at least one, eh? Contact the major prop companies and see if they can fix you up. If remember right got the Solas from a place called Michigan Prop. There also may be a Force Facebook page. I found a rare part for my McCulloch through a FB page for McC enthusiasts.
Are props two piece? Sure looks like the center might be pressed in.

Attachments

• 7C710585-63CB-4225-8570-80376C59B569.jpeg
    7C710585-63CB-4225-8570-80376C59B569.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 99D82FB6-D1E6-48E3-ACAA-628F34F8B673.jpeg
    99D82FB6-D1E6-48E3-ACAA-628F34F8B673.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Would I be crazy to try a Suzuki 7.5x7 3 blade for a DF6 when the stock props are 8 or 8.375? No shear pin so I’d have to come up with spacers and retainers.
Are all 10 spline the same shaft diameter? For $30 on Amazon and is returnable I may give it a go.

What I did was get as much info about the new prop as I could, then took careful measurements of the old one. Any dimensions that are different you'll have to change. On mine is was mostly rubbing I had to deal with which kept the prop from going all the way on. I spent a lot of time with my dremel and prob ate up half as much $$$ in grindstones as the prop cost. To answer your other question yes the hub is pressed in I think. I spun the hub on my Fastwin and then removed the stuck on rubber. I was going to try to McGuiver it using shoe goo and pins, but instead found a very similar prop and went that route instead.

On the McCulloch the hub was not attached and could be removed. I shoe gooed the crap out of it because it was showing signs of giving away. Ran it quite a bit afterwards without issue. My props though are pin driven. With yours I'm thinking the critical part is the cogs. If they don't line up not sure there's much you can do about it. Try contacting some prop shops. Many know where to find obsolete stuff.