Restoring Vintage Fly Rods.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattman

Reaction score
I don't restore old rods like that so take this with a grain of salt...

I wouldn't use Flex Coat. Epoxy finishes are quite heavy and really have mass to them when applied. These wraps do NOT look like they have epoxy on them.

My guess...and this is just a guess...is that there is a urethane finish on them. It's quite durable and very thin. But it won't provide the look of today's rods which are done in epoxy.

Trondak U-40 makes a urethane finish called Permagloss.

If you're not looking at a "perfect" museum quality restore and just want to get it looking good and fishing again...

I'd clean the blank with soap and water. Then in a small spot see if the blank finish reacts to alcohol. If not, I'd wipe it down with alcohol. I'd use a couple of grades of polishing compounds, like what auto body guys use to work out all the fine scratches and oxidation. I'd clean the rod again with soap and water and alcohol. Wash the grip with soap and water. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works too. Get all the grunge off the cork. Then I'd Permagloss the guides. I'd also put U-40's Cork Seal on the grip. And finally I'd use a 100% Carnuba car wax and wax the blank and wraps up.