Rod holders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I have a 12' jon boat and I beat my rods to death when underway. Is there is "nice" solution for rod holders other than those crappy screw on type for bait fishing? I just want something that will protect them when bouncing down the river........maybe like my rod holders on my CC. ??

You can buy a "milk crate" at walmart for $4. I used black and got 1 1/2 inch plastic pipe from Lowe's, black pipe is more but it does match. I then cut the pipe in 11 inch tubes and tie wrapped to the crates, 6 per crate. I keep about 7-10 rods standing straight up in a 16 ft. boat. Any kayak site will show how they use the milk crates. I like mine so much I made extras for the garage rod holders.
I lay them in the truck bed for transport.

Golf bag tubes did it for me. Three on each side up front and two on each side under the rear deck. The reels rest on the middle bench and stay out of the way. A bungie cord keeps the rods in place.

I reused part of my rear bench seat for a cover, but here's the idea.

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

Ranchero- Your solution looks great but way over my head in terms of doing the work. I started to do the crate idea of John K then I came up with a simpler plan that works for me. Since my boat is only 12' I have limited room so I looked around for a place for the rod holders and did not see many options. Then I realized that I take a cooler every time I fish. That was the solution :lol: I attached 4 but you could add more.

Attachments

• small cooler.jpg
    small cooler.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 659
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329499#p329499 said:
Vagante » 16 Sep 2013, 20:40[/url]"]Ranchero- Your solution looks great but way over my head in terms of doing the work. I started to do the crate idea of John K then I came up with a simpler plan that works for me. Since my boat is only 12' I have limited room so I looked around for a place for the rod holders and did not see many options. Then I realized that I take a cooler every time I fish. That was the solution :lol: I attached 4 but you could add more.

Good idea, now all you have to do is turn that cooler into a live well and you have it made.