Rod questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albright1695

Reaction score
What actions and lengths of rods do you guys use for different bass fishing techniques?I feel like Ive got a good knowledge of this but just wondering what other folks use.And do you guys use any rods with extendable butt sections, Ive never found one that I liked the feel of.

I like extended handles, pistol grips hurt my wrists. I use a 7 foot crankbait rod, but all my others are pretty much 6foot 6. St Croix, 1 GLooms and a few AllStars.

Guess I should have said collapsible butt rods.Usually 7.5ft or longer.Yea,I usually use extended butt rods too.I always carry my 3BPS rods and usually a spinning rod for finesse fishing(Shakespeare).And my crankbait rod which a friend built for me.

I use:

Casting
7'6" extra heavy fast action for jigs and flipping.
7' H for frogs in slop
2x 7' MH fast action that I use for soft plastics/lipless cranks/spinnerbaits
7' M for cranks
6'6" MH for topwater/flukes

Spinning
7' Med shakee head/finnesse plastics
6'6" Med dropshot

These aren't exclusively what I will use the rods for obviously. I normally only have one spinning rod at a time on my boat that does double duty. But if I were to be going somewhere that I knew dropshotting was going to come in to play along with shakee heading or finnessing I would bring em' both. I normally have a combination of five or six rods n reels with me each trip out.

Thay is what I carry on a normal trip also.But you gotta have those back-up rods,just in case.Just dont tell my wife about those back up rods.lol

Fast and Ex-Fast actions for feel presentations.

Mod-Fast and Moderate actions for moving bait treble hooked presentations.

For top waters and jerk baits I prefer 6'6" and 6' rods. I work those baits tip down and anything longer has a too much of the rod tip under water.

Most everything else is at 7' or slightly longer.

I don't use a single rod with an extension. Hate them. And my boat has 9' rod lockers so I don't need to worry about rod length. I can store fully rigged fly rods.