Round II: Quachita 14ft jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nussy said:
What is that you put on the floor? Is that some sort of epoxy?

No. It is Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating. It is just wet. It takes about two days for it to completely dry in this cold weather. The fumes are so strong I thought I would just give it time to cure instead of using a heater.

It is located at walmart in the same place as the self etching primer. After working with it, it doesn't appear to be a quality product. I will let you know when it has completely dried but for $45 it was worth trying.

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=368

motor pics

Attachments

• boat motor 8.jpg
    boat motor 8.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 908
  • boat motor 7.jpg
    boat motor 7.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 908
  • boat motor 6.jpg
    boat motor 6.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 908
  • boat motor 5.jpg
    boat motor 5.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 908
  • boat motor 4.jpg
    boat motor 4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 908
pics

Attachments

• boat motor 13.jpg
    boat motor 13.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 899
  • boat motor 12.jpg
    boat motor 12.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 899
  • boat motor 11.jpg
    boat motor 11.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 899
  • boat motor 10.jpg
    boat motor 10.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 899
  • boat motor 9.jpg
    boat motor 9.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 899
Just thought I would share.

I steelflexed my boat halfway up the sides and then painted over it. I have had the boat in the water a couple of times now and to tell you the truth is seems that the paint bonded better to the steelflex.

Please take into account that my boat is camoed therefore scratches are hidden better. You may have a different result with a solid color.

Details on painting steelflex:
-First thing to know is that I used the regular steelflex
-I ruffed up the steelflex with 150 sand paper
-I wiped it down real good
-Just to be safe I self etched the steelflex and then painted it

I primarily fish in a shallow/stumpy lake. I have attached a few pics. The last one is after pulling it out of the water.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• boat 33.jpg
    boat 33.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 883
  • boat 32.jpg
    boat 32.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 883
  • boat 31.jpg
    boat 31.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 883
By saying that you "self etched" the steelflex, does that mean you put self etching primer on it? Seems like a bad idea, considering self etching primer is meant to bond to metal. Then again, the paint on top of the primer bonds to it fine... (head explodes)

good to know that you can paint that stuff...

How much did you mix at a time?

How much did you use? How many coats?

Did you use a normal foam roller from HD or Lowes.

Man that looks great! You better get some fenders on that trailer before the rocks start banging into that nice paint job!

dyeguy1212 said:
By saying that you "self etched" the steelflex, does that mean you put self etching primer on it? Seems like a bad idea, considering self etching primer is meant to bond to metal. Then again, the paint on top of the primer bonds to it fine... (head explodes)

You must not have used either of these products. The steelflex is applied really thick so if the self etching primer did penetrate the steelflex it would only effect the surface. I wanted something that would bond not just peel off the first time I hit a stump. Also, the quality of the rustoleum is far from what you would get in a body shop.

Troutman3000 said:
good to know that you can paint that stuff...

How much did you mix at a time? Not real sure. I used two plastic spoons; something that you would serve punch with. I tried to use a measuring cup but it gets real messy and then you can't read your measurements

How much did you use? almost the entire thing but I still have a little left. How many coats? Two; I was really light on the first coat but the second was so thick it felt like spreading concrete.

Did you use a normal foam roller from HD or Lowes.
Yes

How much did you mix at a time? Not real sure. I used two plastic spoons; something that you would serve punch with. I tried to use a measuring cup but it gets real messy and then you can't read your measurements

How much did you use? almost the entire thing but I still have a little left. How many coats? Two; I was really light on the first coat but the second was so thick it felt like spreading concrete.

Did you use a normal foam roller from HD or Lowes.Yes

handyman,

Yeah I have been really lazy. I just can't seem to finish the fenders. I don’t want to buy new ones but if I don’t I will have to move them up because I changed my tires from 8 inch to 12 inch.