Rudder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 25hp outboard that helps tremendously on windy days to help as a "pivot" or rudder, if you will, while cruising with my bow mount trolling motor. Occasionally ill "launch" in ponds without a ramp and to keep the weight down Ill remove the outboard. Today it was 10-15mph down the lake and it had my ankle going on the t-motor.

Has anyone thought anything up for these conditions? I know the anchor stakes and powerpoles could help, but I'm just curious. The rear trolling motor wasn't enough to slow me down or help swing the boat. With the outboard or in calm conditions without it, no problem. Just wondering what you smart fellers have thought of.

On my old 14 foot flat I rigged up a fixed position rudder to keep the boat from drifting to the side. This boat was for electric only lakes. Without the rudder the boat would drift to the side or want to spin. I had it rigged on a bracket on the transom so I could just drop the rudder in the bracket when on the water. worked well for me.

I use a sea anchor in windy conditions to keep the boat points where i want.

Not sure if thats what you application calls for though....

I made this for a RiverHawk B60. Very simple throw-together from drops, but it does exactly what it should.

On this one, I simply matched it perfectly to the thickness of the transom, so it's just a snug slip fit - no thumbscrews or anything.

Attachments

• DSCI0028.JPG
    DSCI0028.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 731
  • DSCI0032.JPG
    DSCI0032.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 731
bassboy1 said:
I made this for a RiverHawk B60. Very simple throw-together from drops, but it does exactly what it should.

On this one, I simply matched it perfectly to the thickness of the transom, so it's just a snug slip fit - no thumbscrews or anything.

I could use one of those.

How much? Pm me some info please! :beer:

I need one for my basshunter.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=309527#p309527 said:
bassboy1 » 08 Apr 2013, 12:06[/url]"]I made this for a RiverHawk B60. Very simple throw-together from drops, but it does exactly what it should.

Nice. Is that aluminum? What are the dimensions?

=D> =D> i need one of them rudders on my riverjon boat.I has a jet onit so they is little or nothing draging in the water.I wood want it to tip up out of the water when the jet moter is in use.I looking for old transome mount trolling moter to make me rudder on,takeing off the moter on the bottom then replace that moter with rudder.Presto I wood have a rudder onit and could just clamp it on like useing a transome moter then remove when not wanting it

Ernest T. Bass said:
[url=<a href="https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=309527#p309527 said:
bassboy1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>tinboats</span><span>.</span><span>net</span><span>/</span><span>forum</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>p</span><span>=</span><span>309527</span><span>#</span><span>p309527</span><span>]</span><span>bassboy1</span></a> » 08 Apr 2013, 12:06[/url]"]I made this for a RiverHawk B60. Very simple throw-together from drops, but it does exactly what it should.

Nice. Is that aluminum? What are the dimensions?

It is aluminum. Made to order, so it will be sized to fit your specific boat.

Thanks. I want to make something myself, but I don't know what to use, or how large to make it. I have an old/bad trolling motor I was thinking of using, and bolting rudder thru the shaft. My boat is a 16' flat jon with a 48" wide floor.

How about a deployable or removable one? I really be internested in one or two if they could be made removable or deployable and would be able to slide of logs and such.

Latest posts