Salmon - Pulaski, NY, 10/2-10/5

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamefisher

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been on the site lately. I have not been fishing for quite a while. I hope everyone is well.

A few weeks ago I went up to NY for Salmon with a friend from high school. This was my second year going. I think it was his 5th.

We drove up Friday night after work. Got up there around 11pm, finally went to bed around 12:30pm. Back up at 4am! You have to get up early to get your spots.

Saturday & Sunday we went to a favorite spot of one of the guys. We had hookups here and there, but not many fish being landed. It was a big section of the Salmon river, so if the fish got too far up or down, you were likely going to loose it in the rocks. I didn't land any, but I had a few hookups. Those fish REALLY pull.

salmon0925.jpg
salmon0924.jpg
salmon0920.jpg

Monday was a different story. My friend & I decided to switch groups, as some other guys we were with were getting their limit early every day. It was a small hole in a creek, with a bunch of people trying to cram in, but the fish were stacked there. Every few seconds there was a hookup, which became a little annoying because you only had time for 2 casts or so to hook one before someone else did. It was all good though, because all 5 of us in our group had our 3 fish by 9:30am. We had time to eat breakfast, get the fish cleaned & filleted, & take a shower before the drive home.

There were way too many people fishing the same spots for my liking, but it still doesn't look as bad as trout season down here.

salmon0911.jpg
salmon0909.jpg

Nice catching, I have always wanted to go up there and try for salmon, just haven't gotten there yet. That is really crowded fishing though, I don't know how I would like that. I suppose as long as I was catching fish I would be fine. How did the fish taste? I love salmon

I think I'd have more fun watching from a camp chair like those on the bank. :D

I'm told Columbus day weekend, the weekend after this one, is the busiest.

On Saturday morning, we were on the bank at about 5am. We had rigged up and were waiting for it to get lighter, when two guys walked right through our group into the water, to the spots right in front of us where we were about to go. So guess what, that meant on Sunday morning, we walked out and stood in the waist deep water at 5am, and stood there until dawn at 7 when you can start fishing. The same guys showed up again, but moved on this time.

At one point on Sunday I looked over, and there was a guy RIGHT next to me. I thought maybe I accidentally moved over on him, so I took a couple steps away. I looked over a few minutes later, and he was RIGHT next to me again. From there on out we had to strategize to stop him from moving in on our group. When I would leave to take a break, I signaled my friend Jon to move down so I didn't loose my spot completely. Then, when Jon hooked up and had to move down stream to land the fish, I went back in to take the spot. The guy moved right over to where Jon was (it is bad juju to take someone's spot while they are landing a fish) as I was walking up. At that point I called him out on it. At first he denied it and said we were moving down on him, then, he said of course he is moving up, he's trying to get to the hole we were fishing, then, he went on to claim he was saving the spot for us. Yea. He got frustrated and left a few minutes later.

Jake, I haven't tried any yet. My girl can't stand the smell of fish, so I have to wait until she won't be home.