same motor.....different issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok...........same motor, 71 Evinrude 18HP, different issue.

It has done this to me a few times and usually when it first gets started and warming up. I will be going across the water and get a jolt from the motor. Not strong but enough to shake the boat a little. It is not from the motor itself, like it's not trying to cut out or sputter. I think it may be in the lower unit. After it warms up it will quit, so it really is not a big problem....YET..........

let me know what you think..............

Has the lower unit had seals and an new water pump or impeller installed?Not sure if your unit has direct coupling or clutch dogs.

Yep, that is a clutch dog motor. My guess is there is some wear either on the clutch dog itself, or on one of the drive gears, causing it to jump out of gear momentarily every now and then.

it is extremely momentarily.............and after about 2 minutes of slow warming up it will stop....

and somedays it won't do it at all....

so what are the things i need to look at, 1..clutch dogs(i have heard this isn't cheap) 2...new impeller(probably need to change anyways) 3...drive gears ( what all does this entail...dropping the lower unit) 4...?

thanks again..........

I have a 74' Johnson 25 HP and it was doing the same thing , but mine was constantly after warming up . I didn't want to spend a small fortune on it so I took it apart . machined the rounded off edges of the clutch dog to square and squared up the gears where the clutch dog had rounded them off. I also fab'd a better system of keeping it from coming out of gear as the older "rude's and johnson's" didn't have the spring loaded detent ball on the prop shaft to keep them from doing this. Mine works great now with no problems of it coming out of gear..

Latest posts