Scoping out project ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrorails

Reaction score
I've been thinking about some project ideas for my boat and I wanted to get some idea of how long these may take or cost.

The boat is a '81 16' Lund Pike. She's a good solid boat, but has seen a lot of service in the last 32 years and needs some TLC to get another 30.

She started out as a console steer and had a flat floor all the way to the front of the boat. She also had a nice rod locker. I found the following pic from a vintage lund catalog (all copyrights etc belong to Lund, shown here for educational purposes)

BoatRetro800_zps6973c9e8.jpg

Around 1994, someone started modifying the boat. The motor was swapped out for a tiller version, and the console went to. A bow mount trolling motor was put on the bow plate. They also laid down some new carpet and pulled out the rod locker. The big change was a home made casting deck.

BoatBow800_zpsdabd4ff6.jpg

Bow View

Boatstern800_zpsb4da7968.jpg

Stern View

I've been kicking around the idea of pulling out the casting deck and putting down a new floor. That would take care of a soft spot and give me a good excuse for replacing the carpeting. I'm not sure if I would replace the casting deck afterwards, or build a lower one. There is no easy way to store stuff under the current deck, and the battery for the trolling motor just sits on the deck. I would like to tuck that under the nose cone. Also, if someone is sitting up there while underway, it's hard to get a good view of what's ahead while driving the boat. The original configuration had a flat floor all the way to the front.

I'm guessing that if I pull the floor, the foam underneath may need to go to.

The smaller projects i would like to do would be to rebuild some sort of a rod locker and patch about a dozen holes in the nose cone

My big question is long would project like these take? Is that something that could be done over a weekend and or a few evenings? I know that whatever time I estimate, i should revise to be about 4-5x longer.

Any ideas on how the original floor is fastened to the boat? Are there some screws underneath the carpet or is it held in just by gravity?

Also, for the bench in the stern, any ideas if there is foam in there? if I could turn those into storage and or access for wiring they would be even more useful.

Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Peter

You may have to do some investigating to see how the current deck/floor is attached. Other than that I would draw up some plans on paper as a start. Its easier to make changes that way. Then figure what you will need for supply's, (you can price everything out by using the internet). After that most of the work can be done on a weekend (weather being good). May also take a few extra days for paint etc to dry. Hope this helps. I spent most of the Winter figuring what I was going to do to mine.

Peter,
You're only limited by your imagination. :) Looks to me like you have the 16DLX (as you said). Not knowing where/how you fish, Ill say this. If it was me, I'd go back to the "flat floor". Old school. I'm assuming you are staying with the tiller. If so, I'd cut that bench seat in the back, and pull out 1/3 (the middle). On one third, I'd mount the back seat, and keep storage underneath. On the other third (and it doesn't have to be a full third) I'd put my battery box on the floor, and then throw my control panel (switches, radio, etc) on the side facing the seat, and then mount a fishfinder on top. Put extra storage whereever you can. Mount some rod holders up along the side where the rod locker was. (rod saver makes a decent holder). To me the rod locker takes up way too much space. But, If you want to come get it, I have one from my re-build. It's just sitting in my shed waiting for me to re-install it. LOL. In the middle of the deck (off set) I'd mount a seat base, and then one base up front. The way that boat was set up, I'd think fishing three is OK. I'd also try and throw something together under the bow. Some type of storage area for "dry stuff", your battery, and maybe a spot for the anchor/ropr on the floor (underneath).

If you decide to pull the current floor (sounds like you need to), save what you can for a pattern. It'll make life easier. Pull the carpet, and just use a grinder to cut the heads out of the screws/rivets. It'll then come up fairly easy. I'd be shocked if you didn't have a little foam under the current floor. Not knowing all the stats, I'm thinking you'll need 3-4 sheets of plywood. Marine grade isn't cheap. Last I saw, it was $69 a sheet. Maybe $50-75 to seal it up (depending on what you use). Carpet is the same deal, it all depends what you want, and what grade you go with. I'll say it'll cost you $28/yard for the good stuff. As far as time, I just did mine as I felt like it. I was not in a hurry. Deconstruction took no time. Deciding what I wanted to do, and the "best" way to get there took me way too long. Plus, I wanted "the best" without making the family budget suffer. So, that's also why it took so long to get it done. Do the floor right. Nothing worse than having to pull it three years down the road. Good luck, and have fun.