seeking advice on downrigger setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
I'm getting a new boat next week. It's a 50's aerocraft d 14'. 90% of the time I troll for lake trout alone. I'd like to run 2 downriggers with a tiller motor. Any suggestions on where/ how to mount them? I'd like them to look like they're mounted properly and not like someone threw it together with whatever scraps they had. Pics are welcome of your setups. Oh I may also need two other rod holders mounted as I also flat troll and use divers

Seen a picture the other day that was just a small, aluminum (rollbar) for lack of a better word that had five tube welded to it with outward angles to them. Sort of like this but with them pointing outward somewhat other than the center one of course.
fishing-rod-holder.jpg

I do not have a pic right now but I mounted my down-riggers on a nice piece of pine the same size as my middle bench and used removable boat seat clamps to hold the setup to my middle bench, I also made wooden ball holders. The setup mounts in 30 seconds and works great with my bigJon clone down-riggers. Cool part is anyone with a middle bench can borrow it.

Mount them on the middle bench or just rear of it. That way you can see your rods while trolling. If you mount them on the back corners you'll get a neck ache. Gregor and Klamath boats both sell downrigger mounts for the gunnel or you can fabricate one yourself.
https://www.gregorboats.com/accessories.htm

K class pic 002 (Medium).jpg

I like that mount and it looks like something I can make.

Latest posts