Short in TM head

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theyyounggun

Reaction score
I recently got a 33lb old Minn Kota foot control for free from a old neighbor cleaning out his garage. He said that it runs when it is out of the water but it dosent in the water. So we figured there is a short in the head. Anybody had this problem or know how to maybe fix it? I have no idea what I am doing working on TM's. If I cant fix it is no big deal but I would like it to work for him.

If it works out of water but not in, that suggest to me that the motor is not sealed and water is leaking into it. So the resolution to your problem may be as simple resealing the motor.

go to northlandmarine.com and find your parts diagram(you will need serial# off the trolling motor, should be on the head) and see what seals you need....

theyyounggun said:
Which color is it? If it is the prop side is it a inner seal?

yellow should be a gasket and the other is a o-ring.

if the other site dont have your yr model diagram go to theoutboardwizard.com they have older ones but their sites a lil tricky to navigate and find the diagrams/schematics

5200 might seal it but it might also seal it shut indefinitely. I'd stay away from using the 5200 as it would likely glue the 2 pieces together so you'd never be able to get it apart again without breaking the housing.

I dont feel like messing with it and would rather spend the time working on the boat. Already told him I would give it to him.

Latest posts