Should I buy it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brmurray said:
add another GA boy here too!! :LOL2: Up here in Marietta, fish Allatoona, Jackson, Oconee mainly and just secured my Grumman 1436 today in a horse trade. Lucky for me my wife hates fishing and fish!
=D>

DaveInGA said:
Now I'm wondering if I should get a Flat bottom, ModV, or Deep V (high sides for the wife) and if what's the deciding factor in getting a 14 vs. 16 foot boat, considering the waters I want to fish.

Dave

P.S. Nice to see all you local men here. Anybody going fishing during the week that needs a partner, let me know, I'd be glad to go. I live in Jefferson now, moved there from Statham.

Dave you need a mod v or vee to fish Lanier or any other big lake in Gerogia. Th wake will kill you.

This is what I fish out of, I cant go to the electric only lakes anymore because I bolted my outboard on, but my buddy has a Jon boat that we take to those.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 475
I agree with troutman, if a majority of your time is stripper fishing in Lanier I would get a rig like his. Good deals will pop up. Troutman. If I see you cruising down Ga 20 to the lake I willl beep since I know what your rig looks like. :) I am close to the MOG - Hamilton Mill area

Howard said:
I agree with troutman, if a majority of your time is stripper fishing in Lanier I would get a rig like his. Good deals will pop up. Troutman. If I see you cruising down Ga 20 to the lake I willl beep since I know what your rig looks like. :) I am close to the MOG - Hamilton Mill area

No Problem - once I get less busy we can get on the lake and have some fun. I think Bassboy and I are trying to get something going here soon as well.

Troutman,

What you're doing there is exactly what I had in mind to do on Lanier, fish and relax on the various spots on shore there. What boat is that you're in?

Dave

DaveInGA said:
Troutman,

What you're doing there is exactly what I had in mind to do on Lanier, fish and relax on the various spots on shore there. What boat is that you're in?

Dave

Its a tracker 14' Super Guide V Hull, the v-hull makes it ride ohh so smooth in the choppy waters of Lanier. I never really feel unsafe when I am in it on that lake even though it is only 14'. It feels a lot bigger.

DAVE,
your right down the road from me...i live in monroe (Campton)!
as soon as i get the tin finished well get together and catch some fish for sure... glad to know theres some local tinners on here...

Heck Yeah Georgia has a stong presence here. I am hoping to do some trouting up in north GA this year. Going to get my old man to show me how to use the "long rod" fly style.

DaveInGA said:
..... But for most of my use, I'll be using two aft fixed trolling motors and a foot controlled troller fore in the electric only lakes.

Does this mean you can link two trolling motors on the transom? If so is it also possible to control them from a console also. I am about to buy the first motor for an all electric rig and would like to know if I need to get a certain one to be able to do this. 110# of thrust would be nice over the 55# I was planning to have.

Sorry I know there's a forum for motors but I searched it I swear! :wink:

island fever said:
DaveInGA said:
..... But for most of my use, I'll be using two aft fixed trolling motors and a foot controlled troller fore in the electric only lakes.

Does this mean you can link two trolling motors on the transom? If so is it also possible to control them from a console also. I am about to buy the first motor for an all electric rig and would like to know if I need to get a certain one to be able to do this. 110# of thrust would be nice over the 55# I was planning to have.

Sorry I know there's a forum for motors but I searched it I swear! :wink:

I'm not a boat expert, so I can't tell you what parts to buy, but I can tell you what you can do to setup two 55 lb trolling motors in the back:

1. Get two transom mount trolling motors and mount them on the transom. You'll need to pay attention to where they're located and how they're aimed, so one will not pull to one side more than the other.

2. You wire the two trolling motors to 36, 24 or 12 volt relays (voltage controlled switches). This voltage controlled relay/switch allows you to use a low voltage/ampere signal and smaller wires to control power feeding from a much shorter run of higher current/larger (and much more expensive) wire coming from your batteries.

3. Depending on your needs/desires related to operation time, voltage requirements, etc., you'll need a battery or two (or larger capacity batteries) for each trolling motor. High voltage means a lower current draw, but again, more batteries.

4. Once you have the relays wired, you can control from the front of the boat with a single (or more if you choose, but why make things complex if they're not needed?) switch. I'm not sure what's available boating wise, but it could be a flip switch or it could be a foot operated switch (I'm guessing these are available). You'd have to ask someone else for the name/part number of these items.

5. Finally, you run the control switch voltage from the battery(s) you use to operate the front foot controlled trolling motor. The foot controlled motor up front is what you use to steer the boat with and the fixed rear motors provide addition thrust.

Notes: Depending on the size of your boat, you may not need two rear trolling motors. I suggest trying a single 55 in the rear and see what that does for you first, then go to 2 motors if you're not satisfied with. Some folks have several 55's and some folks have gone to some of the larger electric motors available now.

But remember, there's no free lunch. The bigger the electric motor or the more motors you use, the more batteries you'll have to have. At some point, the weight gain and cost will offset much of the gain in performance. I'm guessing somewhere around 5-6 MPH is probably about max from an efficiency standpoint. Anything above that and you're probably better off getting a small gas motor if the lake allows it.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Latest posts