Should I buyt his 25 HP motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update July 2018:

After almost a full year of running this motor I did experience a failure of the tiller-shift mechanism. I lost my reverse gear but luckily I still had the neutral and forward gear to get back to the boat ramp.

It's not like it was unexpected, per se. Before I laid out cash for this this motor I posted on 2 different forums asking about opinions. I was warned that I would eventually have trouble with the tiller-shift mechanism. It's a somewhat complicated system of cables and pulleys that I really didn't care for.

The good news is that I already had located a "side shift conversion" kit, which is now installed. It's now a plane jane side shift, and I like it much better than the tiller-shift.

Other than the shifter the motor has been good to me. Lots of power for my 14' tinner, even loaded up with 2 adults, ice chest, and gear.

I'll be adding a trolling motor to my boat in the next few weeks. Getting serious about bay fishing down in Matagorda Bay so I'm planning to hit the shallow marshes, among other places.

CMOS