Small cleat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Wolf

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to tie off my crabbing lines. I was thinking a miniature cleat maybe 1".

Anybody seen anything that small or have an idea for tieing off?

Thanks

Cord cleats, the kind you use to tie off window blinds are typically about 2" long. Any hardware store should have them.

Attachments

• a20792a12c3404d73c4b33_m.jpg
    a20792a12c3404d73c4b33_m.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 383
You can hang a dog chain or clothesline off the side of the hull and tie your leaders off to that. The chain will keep the leaders separated and hopefully not disturb your guests. Then you'll only need a cleat in the very front and one on each back corner mounted to the hull.

Around here guys just run 150' trot lines and have a board that hangs off the side of the hull for the line to drape over as they run the line. Scoop the crabs off as they come up from the bottom and toss them in the basket.

Smallest one I could find at Westmarine was 3". I found some 2 1/2 window cleats as mentioned above at Sears.

Hey, Ranchero! I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay just outside of Annapolis. Had a 14’ flat bottom plank rowboat with a 5hp motor, ran all over the Magothy River. Up here we can’t use trot lines, and the docks are all private. Found some nice coves off the sound that are pretty good. Tried them last year in the canoe, which didn’t work too well. I’m looking forward to getting out in the tin boat, plus going to hit some of the local lakes for Bass.

Could you buy one of those zig-zag anchor cleats and just cut it down to size? You would only need about 3 'zig-zags' to hold it in place. I bought a 2-pack from Walmart for $5 bucks. The other thing that would work is a "Clam-cleat" which we use for kayaks. They sit very flush to the boat and run about 5 bucks as well. I order most of my kayak gear from Hook1 - https://kayakfishinggear.com/CLAMCLEATCL214FINELINEPORT.aspx

not sure were your mounting it but seems like it would be eaasy enough to make one, take a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 inch flat stock drill a couple holes in it then screw threw it with a nuts between the stock and the boat...or you could use nuts and bolts....or yoou could make it even smaller by only using one nut or spacer or whatever, you could even JB Weld the nut or spacer into place. Just a thought.