SmallieBigs 12' Sea King Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thudpucker said:
Here's some more info. It's a photo of the Sears 12' Tag.

https://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60488&d=1279551750

I wonder if that's the same boat I have. It seems like it should be rated for more than 488lbs?

Me and my son are about 300lbs together, 48 lbs of gas, 35 lbs battery, 30 lbs trolling motor, 30 lbs tackle box (guess), 30 lbs cooler = pretty darn close to the limit. I think I may just try to get a bigger boat.... :lol:

Though the canoe I just sold was rated for 800lbs and was only 36" wide at the center and 15'6" long. IDK seems like a very light rating.

That little boat is pretty tippy. I had one back in the 60's or so. My buddy and I went fly fishing in Canada and all over Washington state.
I had my son and a couple other kids test it for bouyance and stability at a lake. They tipped it over on top themselves. One got a pretty good knock on his head when the Gunn'l whopped down on him.

But it didn't sink! It stayed Gunn'l up and right at the surface.

It will fly pretty good too. One the way to Canada, the boat came loose, and his wife said; "Oh look there's a boat flying by us!"

It got scraped up but still was a pretty good boat.
Put Lazy Susan seats and it'll be a pretty good boat for two big guys.
The less friction you have when moving around the more stable it'll be.

HAHA Flying boat! I was in my uncles truck with him when I was about ten and we got passed by his boat going down a hill. Smashed up the bumper pretty good getting it to stop but didn't hurt the boat at all. I think he decided to use safety chains after that.... :shock:

Yeah you're right it is tippy feeling if you're standing up and trying to walk around, but it's not even close to the tippy feeling I got in the canoe! When I tried out the motor Saturday it did pretty good, but I didn't give it full throttle or try any sharp turns. The 20hp didn't have a problem getting it on plane and ran really good for $150 I was happy. :mrgreen:

Defiinitely going to make the transom bigger and brace it to the floor when it gets put in for some extra support.

I took the OB off after the test run last weekend and the wood on both sides of the transom was in bad shape, a fresh coat of paint can make garbage look good I guess. Oh well $200 for a boat and trailer I figured I'd be doing some work. I tore out the transom and found some carpenter ants living in there. I sprayed the crap out of them so I hope they didn't get out into my garage!!!

I have an old oak door about 1 3/4" thick I am going to use for the inside of the transom and some 1" ply for the outside. This is about the max width my OB will fit on but it should be a lot better than it was. I'm going to use the aluminum from the seats for the top rail of the transom and to brace it to the sides. It will be much more heavy duty than it was.

Since the motor is a 20 hp and oversized for this boat I was thinking about extending the inside transom wood down to where the brace is and bolting the top of the brace through the transom also. This a good idea or should I just leave it alone?

Pics of the destruction. The pics came out weird, it looks like the inside is all rusted or something but it's not...?

Picture 029.jpg

Picture 028.jpg

Picture 030.jpg

Picture 031.jpg

SmallieBigs said:
Thanks for the reply thudpucker. I'm not sure what the rating of the boat is, but I was assuming that it's probably not more than 10 hp. It wouldn't be a problem to beef up the transom and add some more support. I was thinking of putting the gas tank and/or the battery for the trolling motor up front to even the weight out a little.

Anyone know what a 1967 Wards Sea King 12' row boat is rated for weight?

i just got a 1968 12' Wards Sea King today and its rated at 10 hp max and 3 people at 150lb each or 500lb with people, engine, gas, gear...But im gonna put a 110lb 28hp Sport Scott outboard on mine.