Smart Tabs on a small boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are running the tabs in freshwater...I wouldn't worry much about covering the cylinders. Nothing that you can put on them would allow for sufficient freedom of movement..AND...stop water from contacting the surfaces. Perhaps just grease them up well.

I don't remember any covers on my cylinders on the SmartTabs...though they may have been made of different materials than yours. Rich

Just saw the pix. Very professional looking. Your brackets with the adjustments look very much like my SmartTabs.... We are all waiting the results of your trial runs. regards, Rich

Quick question when installing the bolts on the hinges and attaching to the boat I was thinking of putting some silicon on the bolt and around the hole before tightening them....is there a better more leak proof way I was also thinking of putting some rubber washers on the bolts not sure where I would find them though. I'm going to put some grease on the shafts and make sure when I'm done fishing I wipe them down once I get home and per the Nauticus website I'll move them up and down if the boat has to sit for extended period of time.

I may have to sneak out early one day next week and give it a try otherwise it will be next weekend not sure what the weather is supposed to be around here we had snow yesterday and 60 degrees today.

The original installation instructions for my first pair of STs had rubber washers included for a metal boat. All 3 of my installs were on fiberglass and I used 3M5200.

Yes, when I noticed where you are..I wondered if you'd get a chance to check the ST's out on the water soon. Keep us posted. Great thread!
regards, Rich

An interesting concept for a jon boat. I had hydraulic tabs on my flats boat but never thought about tabs for my 1652 Lowe.

Going forward and running on plane makes sense. But if they are always down when you are going slow or stationary; does it make it difficult time when you reverse to get out of the weeds, tight timber or pulled off the occassional sand bar?

I don't fish in shallow spots with weeds very up where backing up migh be a problem. IMO going in reverse while out in the lake or back out of the dock I think will be a none issue cause you can only go 2-3 mph in reverse anyway.

The tabs are done and installed ready for sea trials. I also put some small chains on if the tabs are not needed when two people are in the boat. This should be interesting.....worst case they don't work and I have to take them off and plug 4 holes. Are we taking bets on if these will work or not. About the only thing I'm worried about is the life span of the cylinders. These are set at 23 degrees I can go up to 28 or down to 18 with the adjustments I have I figure since there 3lbs heavier than the Nauticus cylinders a little less angle will help that and be a good starting point.

I almost hate to even write this but here goes.....I put some good grease on the balls and shafts of the cylinders to prevent corrosion I guess if I have to reapply once a month I will that wouldn't be bad. Also had to do some adjusting of my fuel tank to make sure it wasn't rubbing on anything.

Here's some pics of the finished product.

cavatationbb023.jpg

Here's a picture with them retracted with the chains

cavatationbb022.jpg

cavatationbb025.jpg

Retracted with the trolling motor on I can still trim my trolling motor in one more notch while fishing.

cavatationbb021.jpg

cavatationbb020.jpg

cavatationbb019.jpg

I've had them on three boats and still have them on my 16 Caro Skiff. I rarely if ever fish timber ...so I cannot answer there.

I have kissed way too many oyster reefs and the tabs have never been in the way there. I have backed out of many places and never had them hang up.

Very heavy weeds might be a problem, but I now fish Southern Wisconsin lakes that are full of lily pads and many other kinds of weeds. Never had any issues. I am, of course, normally working my way forward with my trolling motor when I am in the weeds. I have not noticed any issues and I've had them on various boats for about ten years.

If you run extreme flats..and felt that you had to raise them up to back out of channel.....ST provides a manual cable/cord method of raising the tabs and cleating them off. Not as quick and fancy as Lencos or Bennetts...but they are functional.

I think most guys keep them angled down too far. It doesn't take much tabbing to stop bow rising and the pneumatic lifters smooth out a ride.... big time. Too much angle and you are keeping the bow down with a loss of speed. I picked up speed after I replaced my hydrofoil with tabs. The physics of that feature is interesting and may still be on the ST site.

I love them.However, I do not seem to have a need for them on my present 160W Lowe.

regards, Rich

If I was going to make another set I would do a few things different. I flip the metal plate and I would either find a big sheet metal break to bend 1/2" edges on the aluminum if that wasn't a possiblity I would use 3/16" large head rivets with backing washers to hold the angle aluminum on.......I'd paint them a different color as well...that may still happen.

Function over form.......let's see how they work. The color and the grid-work will soon be forgotten..... if they work like the real thing. I think they are going to be great.!

regards, rich

Latest posts