Solid Cover?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank R

Reaction score
I like to keep my fishing equipment in my boat ready to go. Just hook up the trailer and go. I don't have the luxury of a garage.

I would like to put a solid, folding, cover on a jon boat that would be weatherproof and secure. Similar to a solid cover on a pick up bed instead of a tonneau cover. I am thinking of something made out of plywood that would have an edge that would secure under the gunwale of the boat. I am thinking I could unlock it and then slide it forward, folding it as I go to remove it.

Has anyone done this?

Never thought of that really, be interesting to see how it turns out. I just use a tarp with a PVC prop to keep water from collecting on it.

Sounds neat, but...

my old age's experience tells me that if a thief decides he wants something, he'll get in. All you can really do is make too difficult or too conspicuous for him to get YOUR stuff.

Best wishes.

Thanks, I have given that some thought. But I have rain and leaves land on my fishing kayak canvas cover. The water can puddle and the leaves permanently stain it.

I am just brainstorming here. Look up Coro-plast on the 'net.

It is the backing for many political and advertising signs. Comes in 4-x 8 sizes.

Lightweight, and weatherproof. Substitute it for the plywood and you should have a good starting point.

They make folding boats out of it. One guy on YouTube builds shelters etc. Let us know what you find.

Incidentally, right after an election, the loser's 4 x..8. signs can be had easily. No end to what you can do with the stuff.

I built a 42 inch wing, fuel-powered model airplane with it. Regards, richg99

Years ago (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) my uncle built a cover for his pickup using mini plywood trusses (flat on bottom, curved on top to shed rain) and covered with plywood. Then covered with canvas. It looked good and worked, back before the fancy fiberglass / plastic ones were being sold.
Tim

This is how mine overwintered... Water and show shed off pretty well. It worked out really well, better than I expected.

DSC01663_zps278b0c11.jpg

DSC01664_zpsc7b302e1.jpg

The only problem with solid stuff is rigidity and weight. You're going to have trouble with weight if you make it rigid enough to be free standing, especially if wood is involved.

I had a buddy that got two cheap or free used metal garden sheds off of craigslist. He cut them all up and built a really cool long shed that fit his ATV with trailer attached. I bet your boat would back right in.

Zoning restrictions do not allow sheds in addition to garages. Adding onto my garage is an (expensive) option that I have considered.

Just ideas to get ideas,there was an accordion style truck topper out for a while. Its construction may help devise a plan. There is a new one available in metal,(aluminum likely) that is like a roll top desk top and it rolls itself into a box behind the cab. Pretty slick and lockable.
Multiple bi fold doors style plywood accordion utilizing piano hinges,maybe rubber strips to cover joints. The right rubber or similar material may work for hinges.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357532#p357532 said:
WaterWaif » 28 Jun 2014, 19:22[/url]"]
Multiple bi fold doors style plywood accordion utilizing piano hinges,maybe rubber strips to cover joints. The right rubber or similar material may work for hinges.

This is what I had in mind. Use a thin plywood that is coated in epoxy and then painted. Some kind of hinges.

Latest posts