Some nice sized speckled trout and a medium flounder today.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
I caught some nice sized speckled trout and a medium flounder today, 1/4/2012. Went out around 11 this a.m. fished a shoreline with lots of oyster shells. Used one of new favorite baits made here in Texas, a Maniac Mullet. Started off with my favorite color, pink, and an hour late not any hits at all. Changed colors to a chartruese back and glow sides, nothing either, went to a orange back and pearl sides and still no hits. To heck with this, so I reached for my old favorite, Zoom 6" Super Fluke, #023-185 white and clear with silver flake with the tail dipped in chartruse worm dye on a 1/8" jig head. I coated the jig head and about half the Fluke with Uni-Butter and the fun began. First spec was 24" long, 2nd spec was 22 1/2" long and 3rd spec was 23" long. And last fish of the day a medium sized flounder approx 18" long.
The pic below is of the Zoom bait, but not using the jig head in the pic anymore. Other pics are of the specs and flounder.
P.S. if anyone wants to know how to filet and stuff a flounder, let me know with a pm and your email. I use a good stuffing made with crab meat and shrimp

Attachments

• zoom2.jpg
    zoom2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Jan.4, 2012.no3.jpg
    Jan.4, 2012.no3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Jan.4, 2012.no 1.jpg
    Jan.4, 2012.no 1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 115
Nope not up there, that's a dry hole for awhile.
Are you using that Zoom Super Fluke I gave ya, if not ya missing out big time.

Launched at Thompson's. Fished straight out West near the channel. Fished around the back end of the island to the south. Water dead flat; no breeze at all. Hundreds of gulls sitting on the water sleeping. No bait, no action. Gave up after only an hour. Should have stuck around and waited for conditions to change...but..no patience.

Need another lesson from the master. regards, R

Hey Rusty,
I'm going on vacation this year back to Hilton Head and I have found a hidden lake that has tons of speckled trout in it. I caught a few on a small inline spinner, but I felt like I should have caught a lot more as they were jumping out all around me. I couldn't use live shrimp for bait because no one sells it on the island. Do you any suggestions I might plan ahead for this year? I'll be going down in June.

I was planning on bringing a new fly rod this year and using some top water poppers and maybe a shrimp pattern fly.

Latest posts