Something stupid today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
I did something stupid today. The marina I keep boat at moved it and the drain was higher the rest of the boat so it filled up with water. I hooked up to trailer and just wanted to move it so it would drain. Of course I didn’t strap it down and boat rolled off trailer at very slow speed (<5mph). Got a good dent on side by transom. Rivets look ok, should I try to have this worked out or just leave alone to avoid making worse. Dent is size of my palm and 1” deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

634d07a5dcf6853ceccaca22347ec4b6.jpg

35b6c375eec52a6723a0f4d980c03661.jpg

Give it a water test. Put it in the water and see if it starts to leak. If not, I would leave it, but that is just me.

Jim said:
If not, I would leave it, but that is just me.
Same here, if anything, rebuck or seal to prevent leaks, but whereas that alloy should be annealed before being worked, you’d likely do MORE damage trying to knock it out ...

If it’s water tight I would just leave it. I have a similar dent on my boat at very much the same spot. Was like that when I bought it. Previous owner just left it as it did not leak. Been like that for years and has not been an issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
chadzeilenga said:
... moved it and the drain was higher the rest of the boat so it filled up with water.
Wait ... what? And just HOW does that happen by them simply ‘moving’ the boat????
The ground must not be level so the bow was lower than the stern so it could fill with rain water is how I think it must have happened

BillPlayfoot said:
DaleH said:
chadzeilenga said:
... moved it and the drain was higher the rest of the boat so it filled up with water.
Wait ... what? And just HOW does that happen by them simply ‘moving’ the boat????
The ground must not be level so the bow was lower than the stern so it could fill with rain water is how I think it must have happened
Yea, that’s exactly it. They backed it up a slight incline so the bow had a nice swimming pool in it. Stupid me for trying to move it without securing it. I was crawling along with it but water must have moved enough to tip it.

I filled up the inside with water and there was slight seepage from 2 rivets. There was also some weepage on the other side and unrelated to the accident so I figured good enough to take out.
Ran through a full 6gal of fuel and barely took on any water, so it will remain as a lesson learned.
c2746f9e9687ab694b61cd7bf345e9d6.jpg

Ive done that before. Parked my boat on slight decline and never raised the front. Needless to say I quickly found out my boat cover was not put on correctly as well.

Latest posts