Sonar/GPS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Just wondering what sonar/gps units you guys got? I'm in the process of trying to decide what I wanna get. They've got one right now on-sale that I would love to have, but unfortunetly its still kinda expensive(for me). It's an Eagle color GPS/Sonar unit, or just settle for one like i've got on my bow(Fishmark 320) which is still a pretty good unit...just not color or GPS, but would be alot easier for me to afford. Unfortunately the reason they've got that Color GPS/Sonar unit on sale is because they are discontinuing them...so this would be the only chance i'll have to get one....or put it off and have to spend way more later on if I ever decided to upgrade. Just can't decide what I want/need to do. #-o I'm just worried if I splurg and get the GPS unit, I may put myself in a bind financially...haha. As i've got bills coming up that would make it tight to get through the month, plus I still got christmas shopping to do. I figured it up and I think I could probably still get by if I did buy the GPS unit, but it would tough. What would you guys do? :|

Bubba - in my opinion, the best thing you can do is set aside say $25 per month and save up until you can really afford what you want. If you don't need one right now, then don't waste your money and get something that will be outdated in 6 months, because it will be replaced with something a little bit better for maybe the same amount or just a little higher. If what you are looking at is going to be discontinued, your pretty much up poop creek as far as warranty and repair in the near future.

I've got a humminbird 727, and I picked it up on Ebay for $99. It came with everything except for a transducer, which I also go on ebay for $45. Both were brand new, still in it's original packaging. I also got it because I can add other features such as GPS - the GPS antenna is only $99, but for electric only lakes I'm not sure what it will show, so I haven't spent the money to find out simply because I think the best thing to find structure is your bait on the bottom of the lake!

I only bought it at the time because of the price and for the fact that my other FF was a Humminbird Piranah15 which sucks. I bought the 727 to tide me over until I save up enough for a Lowrance color version - one that you can adjust to get the best detail and see more fish!

russ010 said:
because it will be replaced with something a little bit better for maybe the same amount or just a little higher.

Well, Thats the thing. They are selling these things like practically half price to what they normally were. I just can't decide if I need to go ahead and go through with it, or just settle for something cheaper.

The thing is, is that I haven't got any depthfinder or anything on my dash. I've been wanting to get one, but never gotten to where I could afford one. I'm debating on just settling for another Fishmark 320 like i've got on my bow, which I like....its just not color or GPS. #-o

For now I think i'm just gonna wait though. I just bought a brand new Eagle Transducer(from a friend for $35 bucks), which will work with any of these i'm pondering on getting. And in the meantime, I've got a cheaper Eagle Cuda 68(which will also work with this new transducer) I can put on my dash for now just to get me basically a depth reading....it'll be better than nothing til I decide for sure what I want.

I think you'll be happier in the long run to get something that you'll actually want..

I put back extra money each month into my "fishing fund"... I'm not rich by any means, but I'm good at saving, and pinching pennies here and there when there is some new product out that I'm wanting

Bubba, judging by some of your last post, your fishing with different people all the time and different boats. I do the same. I bought a nice handheld GPS and a mount for my boat. This way it's always with me. It doesn't help your FF problem, but it sound like you have several. Just a thought!

On my glass boat I have 2 Lowrance 520's with the GPS but for the Jon I just have a Lowrance x47 I think. It came with my Bass Tracker when I bought it. When I upgraded I switched it to my Jon. I think thats fine for what I use the Jon boat for. I don't need GPS on it because most of the lakes are electric only plus they are not that deep either. It is personal preference but if you plan on upgrading your boat, go cheap.

LOWRANCE/EAGLE will be coming out with some new models in the next few weeks so the current units will be reduced in price.
I would go with the color unit they have come along way since the first color units came out. I have 2 color units both lowrance and i love them both.
as for being able to get the cheaper price you should be able to get them for a few more months they all won't sell out.

One of my sponsors is selling the Eagle FishElite 500C Single Frequency Combo - External Antenna [CW16297]
for a great price $270.98

https://www.nationwidetackle.com/index.php?ref=157&affiliate_banner_id=5

redbug said:
LOWRANCE/EAGLE will be coming out with some new models in the next few weeks so the current units will be reduced in price.
I would go with the color unit they have come along way since the first color units came out. I have 2 color units both lowrance and i love them both.
as for being able to get the cheaper price you should be able to get them for a few more months they all won't sell out.

One of my sponsors is selling the Eagle FishElite 500C Single Frequency Combo - External Antenna [CW16297]
for a great price $270.98

https://www.nationwidetackle.com/index.php?ref=157&affiliate_banner_id=5

Yeah, Thats the one I was looking at. Did find a place that had the 502c for $245...although they've already sold out. I'm hoping I can still find either one of these, or prefereably one of the 500c maybe next month sometime.

Latest posts