Spark Plug access?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Fisher

Reaction score
Another Q about my "new to me" Honda:

Spark plug access (case on) to the lower plug is HORRIBLE! I can't imagine pulling that lower plug while on the water. I'm thinking about using a hole cutter and opening a 1 1/4" hole in line with the lower spark plug. I would normally keep the hole covered with a rubber blanking plug.

Any thoughts?

Yes, that is very doable.

but FIRST !!! Go to your local hardware store and get one of those
rubber plug things that has a grove to hold it in place.
stainless plug.jpg

There are also the stainless ones that goes into outside electric boxes to plug vacant holes.

Get your plug FIRST - then, drill your hole.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for thinking of what kind of store might have one. I had found pictures the on the web, but ordering one of something like that is nuts. Your point about getting the blanking plug FIRST is well taken.

I see these rubber plugs at Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowe's
in the specialty hardware drawers. The metal ones will be in Electrical.

I have had too many bad experiences of drilling holes then
try to find something appropriate to plug it with. Not good.

good luck

print out the picture and take it with you - in case you get an ex-burger flipper
as the new department associate.

Why would you need immediate access to a spark plug on a 4-stroke? They are not subject to fouling plugs and drilling through the lower cover will definitely reduce the value of the engine. On a bunch of the 4-strokes the plugs are changed during an oil/filter change which requires separating the lower covers anyway. You can also check the overall condition of the plug with a simple ohms check negating even having to remove the plug at all.

Do you know what a tubing flare wrench looks like?
Get a sparkplug socket with a octagon end, then cut open the side of the socket so it can drop on to the plug. then use a wrench on the socket to remove the plug.

I can't remember any of my engines that had easy access to the lower plug (mostly two cycles, two cylinder engines). I almost always had to slip a spark plug socket onto the plug, and then turn it with a wrench. No big deal.

I sure wouldn't be cutting the cover.

richg99

Well, Home Depot had a SS "Sink hole cover", and I bought one. I will hold off installing it until I get more experience with this motor, however.

I have had a big TWO days on the water so far, and this is the first four-stroke I have been "up close and personal" with. Clearing gas-fouled plugs is a normal part of two-stroke operation.

I see that the non-choke "fuel enrichment" circuit is less likely to literally flood the cylinders with gas than the familiar choke plate, so let's hope plug access won't be needed.

I, too, have very limited experience with four strokes. From all I've read, one of their attributes is a lot fewer spark plug issues. My four cycle Toyota "pull-the-boat" van has 153,000 miles with the same plugs in it.

Trade-offs are weight and not as much "punch" to get out of the hole on the flats.

Great, though, for the right circumstances of use.

Hope you don't have to drill a hole in your cowling.

regards, richg99