Speed question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De Hoog

Reaction score
I have a '67 6 HP Evinrude Fisherman that runs like a champ on a 12' Hewes Craft V Hull. There's not a lot of weight and it's a pretty light boat. I feel like I should be getting a little more speed than 7 mph at WOT. I've played with the tilt/trim, tune-up, etc. but that's as much as I can get out of her.

Am I off in thinking I should be getting a bit more speed or am I expecting too much out of the ol' girl? Thanks!

I'm thinking that's about right. But then....I'm no expert on motors.

Sounds like a neat motor. Got any pics?

I've got a 7.5hp on my rig and it goes 7mph.

De Hoog said:
I have a '67 6 HP Evinrude Fisherman that runs like a champ on a 12' Hewes Craft V Hull. There's not a lot of weight and it's a pretty light boat. I feel like I should be getting a little more speed than 7 mph at WOT. I've played with the tilt/trim, tune-up, etc. but that's as much as I can get out of her.Am I off in thinking I should be getting a bit more speed or am I expecting too much out of the ol' girl? Thanks!

Hello, I have the exact same engine. A 1973 6 hp Fisherman Evinrude. It was my first outboard and I use it as a kicker trolling motor for my main boat, and occasionally on my 11 foot tincan when I portage into isolated lakes. First off, this is an incredibly reliable engine. It is rock solid. However, I understand your frustration for lac k of power. The tincan is 120 lbs, im 190 lbs and 100 lbs of gear. Therefore the engine is pushing about 400 lbs to give you an idea. Probably similar to what you're pushing.

Here is what I've found with this engine. If you can re-distribute your weight to the centre of the boat you will gain a lot of speed. 14 miles per hour on a calm lake (measured with the GPS). As soon, as you sit toward the back you'll be down to 7 - 9 mph. With a second person in the boat it is slower no matter how weight is distributed. If you carry a marine battery on your boat perhaps try to wire toward the front.

Have you considered a tiller extension handle to be able to sit closer to the front while cruising? There are such products that are universal and quickly removable... Hope this helped.

Brine-

She is a great little motor. Far from mint condition, but I plan on making it pretty once I finish my boat mods. Pics to come much later...but she's pretty bulletproof. I fish a lot during the winter and I can get it started in mid 20 degree weather without too many pulls.

Stefan-

Thanks for the tips. I've tried moving all my gear up front and I don't have a deep cycle battery. When I'm by myself, I must look pretty goofy because I do exactly what you're talking about. I sit as far forward as possible on an ice chest so I'm touching the tiller handle with just my fingertips. Not the safest idea, I know. I'm pricing out a tiller extension handle now.

Do you think a more modern prop with the same pitch would help at all? The prop has a few nicks from the previous owner that I've ground even, but they look pretty true. I was just curious if the modern three blade props that I see for these old motors give any noticable performance increase over the original two blade props. Might be worth the $90...but I'd really like a 9.9 in the same era so I can still troll with it. I've never heard any complaints about these Evinrudes from the late 60's/early 70's. I'm usually running a mile or so to my fishing spots so speed is a little important and dependability is a must since I'm in remote areas...in the winter.

Do you think a more modern prop with the same pitch would help at all? The prop has a few nicks from the previous owner that I've ground even, but they look pretty true. I was just curious if the modern three blade props that I see for these old motors give any noticable performance increase over the original two blade props. Might be worth the $90...but I'd really like a 9.9 in the same era so I can still troll with it. I've never heard any complaints about these Evinrudes from the late 60's/early 70's. I'm usually running a mile or so to my fishing spots so speed is a little important and dependability is a must since I'm in remote areas...in the winter.[/quote]

Hi de hoog,

I do not have a lot of first hand experience with props and how they can improve performance. But, its a topic ive been reading about because the prop on my 20 hp Johnson is pretty banged up and needs to be replaced. I'll be buying a new one in the spring. From everything I've read a banged up prop will hinder performance and fuel efficiency in a big way. I'd say it is likely worth replacing and you'll see a difference. Just do your research on which prop is right for your motor... factors such as pitch and size etc...

Also, I was going to mention have you tried trimming your motor at different angles to experiment / optimize speed.

My uncle has a 80's evinrude 9.9 hp and the performance over the 6 hp is very noticeable. Substantially more speed / power. The other thing you can do with a 9.9 is put a 15 hp carb on it, most 9.9 evinrudes are compatible with a 15 hp carb. This would increase your power even more for a very reasonable price. With regard to engine reliablity, you're right... the 70's vintage motors are bullet proof. Needless to say , One of my contacts through work is BRP trained marine mechanic with a ton of experience with outboard reapiairs. claims the 80's evinrude products are rock solid as well...

Props can definitely make a difference. I got a 15hp Force this summer that had a banged up prop. I was getting about 20 mph out of it. I took it in and had it fixed up and now can run about 26-28 all day (depending on conditions). If I were you I would get a new prop with a higher pitch. Hope this helped.

Latest posts