Stainless props on small engines..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
Gents,
I have a '93 25Hp Johnson with a SS Solas 10-1/8" X 13 prop. I boat in shallow water, sand bottom, and bump the bottom more often that I would like. We are at the head of the Chesapeake Bay and have a huge flats area. I've been reading that a SS prop on a small engine robs power because it's hard to swing. How does the board feel about that?

I say BS ... the blades are thinner so would opine any effort expended through weight is likely negated by easier swinging and less drag. However, on autos, it is the weight of the tire, not the diameter or such, that has the largest influence on MPG so on props, I'd say yes weight has more impact, but is negligible on that size motor.

Otherwise SS props on small motors are a wa$te of $$ in my mind. If you need a new one, I'd go for one of the Hustler 'pressed aluminum' wheels by Turning Point Props ... incredibly thin, some 4-blades too for incredible holeshot and load carrying performance, achieving SS performance at an aluminum prop price.

Personally I would not worry and have not ever worried about bumping a sand bottom with any material prop once in a while. Or let's just say that I haven't in 50+ years boating and so far all I've lost to date is a little paint and yet if witnessed ... well, maybe a little pride :oops: too!

I run SS prop on a 25 because I run in places I was all the time hitting stuff and got tired of fixing and replacing props. I never notice that they "robbed" me of any power. I have since made this to stop hitting stuff so whatever I use as prop material is a moot point. https://flic.kr/p/27sQ8Bv

I've seen way more bent shafts with aluminum props than with stainless props but that could be that there are more aluminum props than stainless. Dunno. I run a SS Turbo on mine mainly because it's an "in between" pitch that just works for what I need it for.

Latest posts