Stainless steel screws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a Lund SSV-18 in 2006. I did extensive customization shortly after purchase. This link shows the extent of that customization: https://correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm . It involved numerous screw and bolt fasteners. All were stainless steel. To the best of my knowledge, there has been no corrosion of any SS fasteners I installed. Also, all the fasteners on the original hull are also stainless steel. It's doubtful that Lund would use fasteners that would corrode with the aluminum.

Further, here's a quote from the Lund Owner's Manual that came with the boat: "Due to the electrolytic action between dissimilar metals, all fittings and fasteners attached to an aluminum hull should be aluminum or stainless steel. The use of nickel, brass or ferrous fittings and fasteners may result in aluminum corrosion if the fitting or fastener contacts the aluminum."

When I first got my boat the only bolts that were still intact were stainless steel. There was no reaction from the ss bolts either. I ended up spending well over 100 dollars on just stainless bolts for my rebuild and I am glad I did.

Do you guys reccomend SS bolts on a trailer or just regular bolts? I started my trailer project today and I plan to replace every nut and bolt on it as I think they are all original and the trailer is a 1972. They are all in really rough shape. Thanks.

Thanks. That was my original plan but wasnt sure of any reaction. I didnt even know about the things that reacted with aluminum before joining this site. Glad I joined because my original plan called for pressure treated bunks and decking in the boat.

Latest posts