Steel flex ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunker777

Reaction score
hey everyone

I think I'm going to order some steel flex for my boat... but I want to make sure that I don't mess this up at all because investing $150 ( after shipping and exchange :shock: ) I don't want to do this wrong.
We have stripped the bottom to get it all ready... My question is... How clean do you actually need the aluminum? I mean... we have it, I would say 95% clear of paint and anything else... but of course there are some stubborn spots around rivets and seams and what not. Am I going to run into an issue there ? or should I be OK ?

Also, there appears to be some sort of coating on my aluminum ? Once we took the paint off, we were left with the bare aluminum, but there seems to be a coating, or something on it ? it comes off with some elbow grease... but thats just on the flat spots... when it comes to around the rivets and seems, it would take us DAYS to get it all off.... what do I do about that ? Do you think the Steel Flex will bond or no ?

Any help is appreciated ! Thanks !

Lunker777 said:
hey everyone

I think I'm going to order some steel flex for my boat... but I want to make sure that I don't mess this up at all because investing $150 ( after shipping and exchange :shock: ) I don't want to do this wrong.
We have stripped the bottom to get it all ready... My question is... How clean do you actually need the aluminum? I mean... we have it, I would say 95% clear of paint and anything else... but of course there are some stubborn spots around rivets and seams and what not. Am I going to run into an issue there ? or should I be OK ?

Also, there appears to be some sort of coating on my aluminum ? Once we took the paint off, we were left with the bare aluminum, but there seems to be a coating, or something on it ? it comes off with some elbow grease... but thats just on the flat spots... when it comes to around the rivets and seems, it would take us DAYS to get it all off.... what do I do about that ? Do you think the Steel Flex will bond or no ?

Honestly, call Fasco tomorrow. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions. If I had to guess, however, is that I would (and did) sand it all the way down to aluminum, wipe down with acetone, and then a tack cloth, then Steel Flex. I hit all the rivets with a grinder, making sure they were clean. But my hull did not have paint, so it was different. I will tell you that I will be taking it as close as I can to perfect aluminum for my new Monark rebuild, because I want it to last, and not come back to bite me. I think that it's recommended to get it all the way down, but I imagine you're probably close enough.

To recap, call Fasco, but I'm sure you're alright. I think pictures might help, too. What is this coating? Is it after you sanded and time passed it developed? Or it's under the paint like a Gluvit or something?

ober51 said:
Lunker777 said:
hey everyone

Honestly, call Fasco tomorrow. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions. If I had to guess, however, is that I would (and did) sand it all the way down to aluminum, wipe down with acetone, and then a tack cloth, then Steel Flex. I hit all the rivets with a grinder, making sure they were clean. But my hull did not have paint, so it was different. I will tell you that I will be taking it as close as I can to perfect aluminum for my new Monark rebuild, because I want it to last, and not come back to bite me. I think that it's recommended to get it all the way down, but I imagine you're probably close enough.

To recap, call Fasco, but I'm sure you're alright. I think pictures might help, too. What is this coating? Is it after you sanded and time passed it developed? Or it's under the paint like a Gluvit or something?

Yea, I'm going to call Fasco tomorrow... Umm the coating, I don't know... I don't even know how to explain it... it looks like some type of primer we were thinking.. but I'm still not sure.... I'm going to grab some pics tomorrow in the better light and see what I'm up against.
The boat has a few leaks I think... now that I have it down to the bare aluminum... its showing some spots that were covered up by the paint. Maybe it is some type of sealer or something. I dont know what "gluvit" looks like when its on a boat !

neither... its kind of gray.... kind of like a THIN THIN layer of bondo ? when I say thin, I mean like it was painted on.

Lunker777 said:
neither... its kind of gray.... kind of like a THIN THIN layer of bondo ? when I say thin, I mean like it was painted on.

I suspect that if you scuff it up well enough, the Steel Flex will adhere fine. Again, Fasco will know. Have you tried aircraft stripper?

ober51 said:
Lunker777 said:

I suspect that if you scuff it up well enough, the Steel Flex will adhere fine. Again, Fasco will know. Have you tried aircraft stripper?

Yea... the "talstrip-2" we used for the paint is an aircraft aluminum grade stripper. The stuff is VICOUS ! ahah I got a little drop on my skin and I was runnin to the sink to wash it off haha I was wearing thick rubber gloves to put it on aswell ! Its pretty potent stuff.
But the problem with it is that it only goes through the top layer of paint. But the stuff underneath, I haven't really noticed it working to well on it .
I actually just got off the phone with Fasco, but Jerry wasn't in. Im spose to call back in a half hour !

2 things-
1 when you call fasco ask for the "old version" of steel flex it is much cheaper and still an excellent epoxy.

2 I did not have paint on my hull however it was dull from age so i only used a red scotchbrite pad and then painted it on. I have had no problems...

Good Luck!!

Maybe the grey stuff is jb weld to fix some leaks??

Victor Coar said:
2 things-
1 when you call fasco ask for the "old version" of steel flex it is much cheaper and still an excellent epoxy.

2 I did not have paint on my hull however it was dull from age so i only used a red scotchbrite pad and then painted it on. I have had no problems...

Good Luck!!

Maybe the grey stuff is jb weld to fix some leaks??

Victor is correct, unless you are really going for speed, there is no real need for the Steel Flex with Teflon. The original Steel Flex will work great.

If the film is all over the hull, it doesn't sound like JB Weld, but rather a protective roll on enamel or something like it. Jerry will have the answers, keep the faith.

Well I just got off the phone with Jerry at Fasco...

He said as long as the stuff on the boat is adhered well and isn't flaking off or anything, then I should be fine putting the steel flex over it .

Now as far as the old vs new versions.... I have a 1465 springbok... with a 18HP merc on it. The guy I bought it off of said it will push him at about 22mph.... I plan on adding a deck and some extra weight to the boat... which will hinder the speed and I figured with the teflon version of the steel flex I might be able to pick up some MHP's?

hahah I don't know which one to go with now !

Lunker777 said:
Well I just got off the phone with Jerry at Fasco...

He said as long as the stuff on the boat is adhered well and isn't flaking off or anything, then I should be fine putting the steel flex over it .

Now as far as the old vs new versions.... I have a 1465 springbok... with a 18HP merc on it. The guy I bought it off of said it will push him at about 22mph.... I plan on adding a deck and some extra weight to the boat... which will hinder the speed and I figured with the teflon version of the steel flex I might be able to pick up some MHP's?

hahah I don't know which one to go with now !

My order is on its way as well :) I opted for regular, since I never figure to need any MPHs. But if you need otherwise, go for it, but the cost is a bit prohibitive as well.

Lunker777 said:
I figured with the teflon version of the steel flex I might be able to pick up some MHP's

I seriously doubt it unless it was a mud or air boat application where you would be running in mud or vegetation.

I cant say for sure but, I don't think you'll go any faster. Considering I am still rowing I can't tell a difference.