steering torque

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moark

Reaction score
I had my 60/40 2015 Merc out yesterday and at full throttle had excessive torque pulling to the left. I also have stick steering but with engine off it is very easy to turn right or left. Anyone else come across a problem like this. Excessive is an under statement, it's a chore to keep the boat straight.

There are two small tabs on the top and bottom of the exhaust tube of the pump that can be slightly bent to counter the torque steer.

I was having the same problem with my 40/30 Yamaha. It ended up being a small stick stuck in the area where the water shoots out. Once I removed it everything went back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So which way do you bend the tabs? Mine pulls to the right a little but I don't want to mess around with them and go the wrong way and risk breaking them by bending too much in both directions.

So I made some adjustment to my tabs today. The boat was pulling to the right and I noticed the tabs were bent to the left (when looking at it from behind) so I bent them straight and it got better. Then I bent them a little to the right and now my pull is almost completely gone. It could use just a tiny bit more but it's not a big deal. So I guess you want to aim the tabs to the side that it's pulling towards.

JL8Jeff said:
So I made some adjustment to my tabs today. The boat was pulling to the right and I noticed the tabs were bent to the left (when looking at it from behind) so I bent them straight and it got better. Then I bent them a little to the right and now my pull is almost completely gone. It could use just a tiny bit more but it's not a big deal. So I guess you want to aim the tabs to the side that it's pulling towards.

That is correct, bend the tabs in the direction of the pull. The water being forced out gives a little push against the tabs. Most of the time you should be able eliminate most of the torque steer. Once adjusted any future problems is usually a rock, stick, or debris stuck between the exhaust tube and the outlet nozzle.

I also found my problem, I had a rock up in the nozzle causing it to pull left. Removed it and everything was good to go. thanks for the help.

Latest posts