Storage doors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishnFlorida

Reaction score
I'm putting storage doors on my deck soon. I was wondering what is the most logical way for them to open? To the outside edges of the boat... towards the bow of the boat...towards the engine. :?: .Help me out! :mrgreen:

If the door is close to the side of the boat, you may want the hinge towards the center side. If the hinge is towards the water side, and there is something on the door when you open it, the item could roll off into the water. Though access when on the boat isn't as easy, access from off the boat, loading it, will be easier that way as well.

We built ours so they open outward and hang slightly over the edge. Here's why it's better in my opinion.

a. When they are open, you can more easily grip them to reclose them becasue they hang over the edge (rather than them sitting flat on the deck).

b. More importantly...if they were opened and sitting in the middle of the deck, where would I put my tackle as I take it out of the storage? I would have to hold the tackle, or pick it back up to close the lids.