Storage for old timers mix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlasdaddy3

Reaction score
What kind of container can I use to store old timers mix. I bought all the ingredients, but don't know what type of container to mix them together in. Also, is there a procedure to use the mix?

I got one of these at menards to store mine: https://www.menards.com/main/paint/brushes-rollers-trays/paint-trays-buckets/dutch-boy-reg-original-twist-pour-reg-paint-container/1-dbempga/p-1444429354023.htm
I also labeled the mix ratio so that I can repeat the mix.

Once you have them mixed, apply liberally to the wood you want to seal, paying special attention to any end grain. Small parts, I just dipped in the mix. You want to apply it until the wood won't soak up any more, then you wipe off the extra. BLO can start a fire while drying on rags and paper towels so make sure you look up how to dispose of these safely!

The last step is to wait for it to dry. I rushed it with 24 hours a couple times, but 48 or 72 hours is better. Then it's recommended you top coat it. Either with a few layers of straight spar urethane or oil-based paint.

I looked at the plastic paint cans when I had a very badly dented can of Rust-oleum that needed to be replaced. The new plastic can said not for oil based paints. I ended up getting the metal can.
I mixed and store my Old timers in a wide mouth Mason jar.

Latest posts