Storing outboard in winter - updated

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perchin said:
I think the ethanol debate has been going on for years. I do find it odd that marina's sell ethanol free gasoline if its actually a benefit to have it... on the other hand, I've never used much else than the E-10 pump fuel, and have never had a problem. I'm pretty sure that all gasoline engines in the last 15-20 years were built ethanol friendly though. Its those old cork style gaskets that will disolve because of ethanol.

Let me clean up some confusion. Ethanol is alcohol with an addative so you dont drink it.
Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline. Racing engines have been burning alcohol/ethanol for decades.
Ethanol got its bad rap because it eats the old rubber/cork.
Ethanol actually cleans the varnish gasoline leaves behind. Straight gasoline is bad, it leaves a varnish, ethanol doesn't. Ever see varnish in your booze bottles?
Sta-bils commercial claiming ethanol leaves harmful deposits is misleading, the ethanol doesnt leave deposits, the gasoline does. Yes ethanol will attract more water vapor than gasoline, however even at 100% saturation, it wont affect a properly performing engine. Your carb/fuel injectors pump in a fuel air mixture. Ever drive in the rain? The air your engine is sucking in is 100% moisture laden. It doesnt affect your engine performance. Plus ethanol is produced locally by American farmers and ADM. Google ADM (Arhcer Danials Midland), tehy make products you use everyday and dont even know it.

Latest posts