Strip mine lake revisited.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Two Tracks

Reaction score
I have belonged to this club for many a year. Since the 70's. This last week I was on vacation and decided to try fishing the lake like it was a new place to me. There were areas that I knew held no fish and areas that were just marginal. So I thought. I really tried to act like I didn't know the lake and I fished underwater islands and weed patches. The results were great. The temperatures were in the high 90's to 100 all last week and the biggest bass were all taken during the day, off the shore line and in weed beds about 10 to 15 feet deep. The largest was over five pounds and each day I got at least one that size and many 12-14 inch bass. Yesterday was the last day there and about 7pm (still very hot and sunny) I tied into a U-boat. I have never had a bass that big on the end of my line. I was casting as far as I could along an underwater island and something hit a Rapala Fat Rap. It was unreal how hard it fought. It came off of the lure and is still waiting for me. It felt more like I had tied into a u-boat instead of a fish, hence the name. I will try to make contact again.
I learned quite a bit this week by trying to forget everything I thought I knew about this lake.

La Chateau 40&8. It is a veterans club that started during WWI. The 40&8 stands for the way the guys were transported. 40 mules or 8 men were put in a rail car and transported to the front. Times have changed.
2agjjpd.jpg

Caught mid day on a plastic craw in the weeds.

Just added a picture. The largest bass caught over a weeks period were all caught during the heat of the day and in the weeds using either a Terminator Louisiana Bug colored craw or a natural colored craw from Gander Mountain. I used either a 3/0 or 4/0 WG hook and put a small piece of solder in the craw for weight. I would bounce the tip of the rod from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock position and kept it in the weeds. I used 12 lb P line.

Nice fish. Glad you had a good day. One thing I always try to remember from one of Bill dance's books is to turn around every once in awhile fish the other side of the boat. Glad it worked out for you;

Latest posts