Stripping old paint vs not!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If removing paint from a tinny is long and hard, you're doing it wrong.

A lot of people let a job beat them down with dread before they even start it, and this makes the job a lot tougher. A positive attitude always makes a job easier.

Well guys, I just finished sand blasting all the paint off. If I could figure out how to post pics directly from my iPhone, I would show you what IMOHO has got to be the easiest way to remove paint, both coats , decals, penstriping, everything. It's all bare metal and ready to soak up some Steel flex and paint. It might have taken 1 hour with absolutley no clean up to worry about. I did a leak test and we are bucking and welding up a few possible leaks. One last time, are we sure you don't prime for Steel Flex?

dblbarrel said:
Well guys, I just finished sand blasting all the paint off. If I could figure out how to post pics directly from my iPhone, I would show you what IMOHO has got to be the easiest way to remove paint, both coats , decals, penstriping, everything. It's all bare metal and ready to soak up some Steel flex and paint. It might have taken 1 hour with absolutley no clean up to worry about.

This may sound ridiculous, but for some reason that doesn't sound like it was a very long or arduous task to me???

Not everybody has access to soda blasting equipment. I know your probably not trying to come across like a know it all or a butt, but it is coming across that way to me.

Bottom line was simply that it is not always necessary. It is not always necessary for a good adhesion and it is not always necessary for a good looking paint job.

The amount of work, time and money that many of us put into our mods - any place that we can save time, energy and money is a good thing. More time, money and energy to put into what really matters - fishing.

It doesn't mean you are lazy and it doesn't mean that you are cutting corners and it doesn't mean that you will regret it in a few years if you choose to not do something that was unnecessary.

I think both of you make a good point. The paint was adhering very well. I was thinking of using it as a primer when I started this post. I would not have spent $500-$700 to have it sandblasted. I would have rather put that $ somewhere else in this build. I got lucky when an inlaw had use of an industrial use sandblaster for the weekend. It's just like anything else, YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THE MATERIALS AND TOOLS YOU USE. I think a little luck goes with it. I will say if you must strip a boat all the way to bare metal and you have a little $ to spare, SANDBLASTING IS THE WAY TO GO!

im jsut gonna hit it with some 60 grit before i apply. steelflex arrived today. the can says to apply at 75 deg. what happens if its not 75? just take longer to cure?

Jerry from fiasco told you to take 60 grit sandpaper to the hull of your aluminum boat?

Does Jerry speak from experience with aluminum boats?

Seriously...you don't need to sand bare aluminum, and shouldn't, with 60 grit. 60 grit is a hard core removing layers/paint grit...