Stripping then resurfacing, then modding!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kemical said:
FishingBuds said:
but i had 1 question..

what size bolt and nut is that you use on a aluminum boat..??

thanks again

On the bottom I'd go with at least a 10 head === IF and only IF its head seems flatter(less drag on water and get hung on trailer accidentally and strip loose) I usually used the number 10 head it seemed flatter-by the way it was a flat head screw drive type also-the phillips heads was fatter.

No washer on the head side-just a washer on the nut side-have the bolt long enough to poke thru (maybe a 1/4 inch long) and nut tighten up on it with said washer-with no washer on head side you will shoot it with the 5200(and I shot the hole too)

Your first photo looks just like what I uncovered on my boat too.

Your correct on hows it going for ya-that was the tuffiest part of the job in my oppion on stripping and bolts and painting :sick:

I'm excited for ya man-keep it up =D>

I have an air operated chisel for use with an air compressor.

I took one of the chisel bits, cut the end off and dished it in the end to closely match the mushroom shape of the heads. If I have a helper to hold a small hand held anvil on the opposite side, I can tighten an entire boat in a half an hour. 8)

I've done 3 boats now and all of them were as tight as brand new when I finished. Some of the rivets were bad enough that they were about to fall out and the boat leaked like a seive.

You have to watch that chisel, though. If you hit it too hard or too long, it will knock a hole completely through the boat. Those rivets are soft.

kemical said:
talking to my neighbor, he was telling me it is very simply to RErivet theses holes,, i was looking at it,, and i was also thinking about RErivet them,, what do you think,, should i just redo it, or nut and bolt it??

you guys should know this,, your answer is in your hands,,lol..

thanks guys!!

I'd drill out the rivets and re-rivet. Should be able to do it with a handheld rivet tool. Then seal each with a product called Gluvit. (https://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20Gluvit/gluvit%20prod%20in.htm) I have not used this personally, but expert boat restore sources say it's an aluminum boat's best friend.

[DAY 4 & 5]

ok sat & today i worked on the boat,, preparing to mineral spirit the boat before i start Rerivet , im sealing it with JB weld.
i drilled out all the revets from the bottom of the boat (70) rivets,, im tired,, i sanded , brushed every thing so when i rerivet them it is nice and clean for the JB weld,, now it says on the package wait 16 hours before applying anything to it,, so im am waiting, tomorrow i am calling fascoepoxies.com to get that stellflex,, by then all the rivets have been sealed pretty good,

now i found a crack on the back of the boat, i also used JB weld.. that back of the boat was really messed up,, hopefully it wont give me any probs..
here are the photos.. of sat and sun..

went fishing sat morning,, cought 2 lil smallmouth bass,, pretty sad,, wanted my boat instead of being in the water.. and my son didnt catch a thing,,
but last night around 12am we went night fishing,, out on the causeway..(here in florida)https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=27.972004,-82.602897&spn=0.023878,0.047035&t=h&z=15
went fishing for the first time at night,, he cought a big o CATFISH,, wierd looking one,, it had a mohawk,,lol and a stingray,, he was soo happy,, since we started fishing about 2months now, and he has never cought anything,,
anyways,, just wanted to shared that with someone,,lol...but back to the boat,, hopefully i have this project done by sat night ,, his bday is sunday,, want to take him fishing on the boat

so im determine to get this done by then,,
(my hands still shaking from the vibration of the sander,,lol

ok guys , thanks a bunch with all ur advice and experience!!

Attachments

• 05-18-08_0044.jpg
    05-18-08_0044.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 05-18-08_1613.jpg
    05-18-08_1613.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,453
  • 05-18-08_1614.jpg
    05-18-08_1614.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,452
went today to local marine hardware store,, for GLUV IT,,, they want $115... GET THE F%@$ OUT !!!

how much was for steelflex again,, did i seen somewhere for $65..if someone has that post please link it ,, i guess im going to have to order it,, its ridiculous .. $115 for a gallon..

FishingBuds said:
kemical, I don't fool with old rivets.

I simply drill out the old rivet and get said fitted bolt, add some 5200 marine caulk from Wal-Mart and I'm done with it. I've done the last two boat projects this way. Its been fine :) no leaks [-X

FishingBuds, did you use some sort of locking warsher or were you not worried about the bolts vibrating lose?

Kemical, I need to strip my boat as well, but I'm working outside. Does that stuff your using say on the lable that it will work in the cold?

ill let you know. ill go out and check it out tomorrow moring,, its in the shed an dits pretty much dark and cold outside,,lol so ill let you know sometime this week,,

Cheeseball said:
FishingBuds said:
kemical, I don't fool with old rivets.

I simply drill out the old rivet and get said fitted bolt, add some 5200 marine caulk from Wal-Mart and I'm done with it. I've done the last two boat projects this way. Its been fine :) no leaks [-X

FishingBuds, did you use some sort of locking warsher or were you not worried about the bolts vibrating lose?

I used the self locking nut(plastic inside) I will add that depending on how many you need to replace will determine cost for me, Nuts and bolts add up quickly now-a-days, so its your choice.

I understand on a major over-hall of 25 or more rivets you'd seek to replace with rivets verses bolts.

Kemical sounds like your coming along fine :)

i sold that boat along time ago,,lol i stripped it, fixed it up. didnt paint it. left it nice and clean.. sold it for $300