Strippn' Paint??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crank'in

Reaction score
Hello everybody! :D

I have just joined the site, but have been reading all the posts for a couple of days. I have to admit that this is one of the coolest sites I have ever been too!! I have recently bought a jon (trailer included) that's seen its better days. The boat is in good shape, just needs a lot of TLC. It's a 14' 8", 48" wide, duracraft that I was able to pick up for $200 (I got a GREAT deal!!). I plan to completely mod the boat (with progress photos), and want to start with stripping the paint off the entire boat. I decided to do a little test tonight and it didn't turn out so well! So I am asking for any and all advice on the most effective way to strip paint.... I have never done it before so any advice is greatly appreciated. I will try to post some pics of the rig tomorrow in the AM.

if its aluminum, use a product from wal mart or autozone called aircraft remover. do a search , there are recent posts of this.

:WELCOME:

Thank you for joining! And thanks for the kind words about the site! :mrgreen:

Take a look at this recent thread about stripping the paint off.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3077

Good luck!

Thanks for the link Jim. I read through all the post and I still am not having much luck.

I bought the same brand of stripper the other members used, but think I have a problem with the air temp. I live in So Cal and in temp ranged form 100-105 for the last week, and everytime I tried to use the stripper it was like pouring water onto the boat. It would remove the paint no problem, but when scrapped, all of the old paint would just smear. The can recommends temps between 65-85 for best use. Could this be my problem, or do I need to wash the areas immediately after I scrape each area?

Now I am thinking about using a palm sander instead?

I hope to have pics up soon... The ol' lady has the digi-cam.

Right now it is 7pm and it is still over 90. I tried a test tonight when it was about 95 and I had the same result.

I have no progress photos yet, bet here are a few pics the day I brought the boat home.

This is my test run to make sure the photos post.

Attachments

• crankin1.JPG
    crankin1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,179
Hello Crankin
Speaking from experience, that is one fine boat you have there. I just began my 22nd fishing year with my 1986 Duracraft 1542. The biggest difference I see between yours and mine, is that I have the middle bench, which is a live well that I have always kept plugged off and use it for storage.
Basically the only modifications that I have made to the boat, is to add a floor in it, and built the very front "seat" up even with the gunnels to better accomadate a bow mount foot control trolling motor and my electric anchor system. Also, I have the entire interior covered with the ole green astro type marine grade carpeting. No it is not a show boat, but is a personalized "Fishing Tool". I don't intentially abuse the boat, but at the same time, neither do I baby it,

Looking at an enlarged picture of your boat, judging from the scraped (or maybe patched) chine up near the front starboard chine, I would guess that who ever previously owned the boat, had a knowledge of the "whys" of a Jon boat design and used it accordingly.

I have a couple of questions that I am curious about:
1. What year model boat is it?
2. Are you sure that its a 1548 and not a 1542?
3. Does it have, or can you still read the "Capacity plate" on it?

I have no ideal what modifications you have in mind for it, but as for stripping it down to bare metal; looking at the enlarged picture of the boat it looks like the original paint it still holding good, (faded a bit maybe) but I recommend you just sand and feather edge the scratches, etc, give them two or three coats of self etching primer, and then give the original paint a good cleaning, and then roughing it up a bit with sand paper, and then give the entire boat a good coat or two of good primer if you feel it neccessary. Then paint it whatever color you want.

For now, if it where my project, I think I would more or less use the boat as is (after a good cleaning) for a year or so to get a good feel of it, and concentrate more on getting my trailer up to par. An ole boat may leak on you a bit, but not likely to sink on you, however with a sub par trailer, you could easily kill yourself or some other motorist while pulling it down the road.

I could probably rattle on here all night, but I guess I will just shut up for now.... Am really looking forward to seeing the modifications to the boat as you go along. If there are any questions about the duracraft that I might be able to help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Hey Rebg38, thanks for the post! It seems like you are extremely happy with your boat, and trust me when I say, I'm glad to hear that.

I'll start off by answering your questions.
1. According to the titles for the both the boat and trailer, they were manufactured in 1982.
2. It's a 1548.
3. Yes it does still have the 'Capacity plate' attached. I know it's rated for a 25hp, but cannot remember the weight limit (I can let you know later if you'd like).

This is actually the 3rd boat that I have owned. I moved to CA from MN about a 1 1/2 years ago, and before I moved I had a Trition TR196 & Alumnacraft crappie jon (1448). I did some slight modifications to the jon for duck hunting and river fishing, but nothing to extreme.

You are correct, that the original paint is not in that bad of condition, but thought I'd give it a try. Although after the luck that I had with the stripper, I am going to do exaclty what you said. I plan to give it a light sand, prime it, then paint. I am still kicking around ideas for the interior mods, but have a few in mind. The trailer on the other hand, needs help. I actually started to tear it completely apart last night. I am going to redo the entire thing.

I'll keep everyone posted with my progress and look forward to sharing ideas!

By the way, thanks Jim for posting that one pic. I knew there was a way to shrink them, but couldn't remember how :? . I'll play with them and get the rest posted.

Here some pics of what I was able to get done over the weekend. I primed and painted the outside. Once I start framing the inside, I'll post some more pics.

New Jon 006.jpg
New Jon 008.jpg
New Jon 009.jpg
New Jon 014.jpg
New Jon 013.jpg
New Jon 016.jpg
New Jon 019.jpg
New Jon 020.jpg
New Jon 021.jpg

Latest posts