Suggestions for putting a trolling motor battery below deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestfisher

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Bass Pro V16 Guide Special boat. I just purchased a bigger motor. At present I had my gas tank (6 gallon remote), starting battery and my trolling motor battery in the very back by the motor above deck.

With the additional weight of the new motor I want to balance out the weight better. As I have to replace the flooring in the main part of the boat thought this would also be a good time to do this.

I have looked at the boxes that you can add with covers however these can get quite expensive. Am wondering if anyone had suggestions on what to use to put the battery in to keep it waterproof and be able tie it down as the rules here in Packerland requires the battery to be secured.

Would like it to be practical along with fairly inexpensive. Maybe I can't have both ?

Appreciate any help you could offer.

Midwestfisher

We build an alum. mounting plate with raised sides to mount to big batteries below the deck with a hinged hatch that covers them

They fit super tight so we do not strap them down although we did build a bracket to do just that

these cost me about 30 bucks for the clamps.the base is plywood and the brackets to mount are aluminum.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 497
Maybe its just Me .But what I think I see is not good.Those wet cell batterys vent vapors while chargeing and pounding around.Those vapors seem to start corrosion in the compartments there mounted in...Now it doesn't seem to be as big a problem with AGM sealed batterys..my 2c...cva34

cva34 said:
Maybe its just Me .But what I think I see is not good.Those wet cell batterys vent vapors while chargeing and pounding around.Those vapors seem to start corrosion in the compartments there mounted in...Now it doesn't seem to be as big a problem with AGM sealed batterys..my 2c...cva34

I have all three batteries below deck and have never noticed any corrosion as a result - the storage areas do have some air flow.

I understand your point but I think any corrosion would be minimal but certainly something to look for