Super Bowl Game Day smoke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The weather might have won the battles, But I'm going to win the war! :LOL2:

After digging out 4 feet of snow from my back door to the smoker and Grill, then another 6 foot long path to my shed to get the coal & wood I reached the promise land.

At 6:00 am on the dot a 7 pound pound pork butt and a 7 pound beef brisket are slowly smoking away at 216 degrees. Pictures will follow at the end of the day. I need to thaw out.

At noon I am going to throw on 2 racks of ribs! Hoping those will be done by 5PM. My brother in law is going to grill some wings. I am going to make some homemade coleslaw. I did end up making that East NC vinegar based sauce....my God that sauce will put hair on your chest. https://allrecipes.com//Recipe/eastern-north-carolina-bbq-sauce/Detail.aspx
Not sure If I am a fan of it, but we will see, got to try one small sandwich with it.

What are you guys doing for today?

Brine said:
Jim said:

Wishing I was watching the superbowl at Jim's.

x2

I don't own a smoker so I am stuck making a pork butt in the crock pot! I know it won't taste as good as Jim's but it is all I have for now. I have been looking at a grill/smoker combo but not sure how well they work. Maybe in the spring i'll pick one up.

njTom said:
I don't own a smoker so I am stuck making a pork butt in the crock pot! I know it won't taste as good as Jim's but it is all I have for now. I have been looking at a grill/smoker combo but not sure how well they work. Maybe in the spring i'll pick one up.

I cook pork butts in the crock pot all the time. I love it! Taste just as good!

Leaving it to the wife. She is awesome. And says she will actually watch the game with me.

Guacamole, chili/cheese dip, homemade mini pizzas, and I'm not sure what else.

Jim said:
njTom said:

Mind sharing your recipe [-o<
I pulled mine from the internet. Apple cider vinegar, an onion, and a few spices. Very simple but tastes good. I use sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

Seams like we will be eating from kick off till the next season starts, Im bringing home-made pizzas and the coke, Joes bringing the cracker/pepperoni/cheese squares platter, home-made guacamole dip, tortilla chips, and home-made salsa. Hes also doing steak-ums (the closest thing we get to a good cheese steak). His dad made some beef stew, the neighbors cooking hot wings and fudge and Lynn is making cupcakes!!! Man I cant wait, go Steel......... I mean Green Ba....................................... Errr maybe ask me again at half time who I want to win. I despise both of these teams, im just in it for the food!!!

Man I cant wait, go Steel......... I mean Green Ba....................................... Errr maybe ask me again at half time who I want to win. I despise both of these teams, im just in it for the food!!![/quote]

Go commericals!! :LOL2:

and good food!

I am another one that doesn't care who wins I hate the steelers.
looking forward to halftime show..

Jim said:
njTom said:

+1 That's exactly what we did. Actually had a crock pot of something else that my wife tried. Not sure what it was, but it was good! Had pork butt, in it, but it was like a cross between a chili and jumbalaya. Ate way too much yesterday, but it was worth it.

If I ask you to pull my finger......for God's sake.....DON'T!

njTom said:
Jim said:
I pulled mine from the internet. Apple cider vinegar, an onion, and a few spices. Very simple but tastes good. I use sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

Two days later and Im still eating it! :LOL2: No way am I getting on the scale this Friday for the weigh in. I can feel an extra chin growing. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Here is my recipe for a crock pot pulled pork. Cut one big onion into 1/4 in rings. Layer the bottom of the crock pot with a them. Sort of like the olympic rings, but a few more. The object of this is to just keep the butt off the bottom of the crock pot.

What I do now is I lather the whole butt with a thin layer of cheap mustard. I then use a rub that consists of brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little cayenne pepper. I cover the whole butt with it. I then place the butt Fat layer up. I place a few more rings of onion just on top of the butt. I then grab a beer and pour half of it down the inside of the crock pot.

I put it on low, cover it, and do not look at it, or touch it or God Forbid......lift the lid. :LOL2:

6 hours later I slowly turn the butt over and let it go for another 6 hours.

At the 12 hour mark it will pull apart into nothing. So I slowly remove it from the crock pot and put it in a pan. I break it all apart with 2 forks. I dump all the remains of the crock pot out. I then throw the pulled pork back into the crock pot add all the BBQ sauce I feel it needs(sweet baby rays or KCMasterpiece with honey and Garlic :wink: ) dice up a small onion, mix it all in & keep it on low and serve. It can sit in the crock pot on low for at least a couple of hours I would say. Even if you shut off the crock pot, it will stay very warm because of the ceramic pot.

So simple a caveman can do it. The beauty of a crock pot is you can start this whole process at midnight and have it ready for noon lunch, or like me can start it at 4AM and have it ready for dinner.

I'm still feeling it from the snacks....I must have ate enough to last me two weeks...

Good game though.

I should buy some stock in toilet paper companies :lol:

Jim said:
njTom said:
Jim said:

Two days later and Im still eating it! :LOL2: No way am I getting on the scale this Friday for the weigh in. I can feel an extra chin growing. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Here is my recipe for a crock pot pulled pork. Cut one big onion into 1/4 in rings. Layer the bottom of the crock pot with a them. Sort of like the olympic rings, but a few more. The object of this is to just keep the butt off the bottom of the crock pot.

What I do now is I lather the whole butt with a thin layer of cheap mustard. I then use a rub that consists of brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little cayenne pepper. I cover the whole butt with it. I then place the butt Fat layer up. I place a few more rings of onion just on top of the butt. I then grab a beer and pour half of it down the inside of the crock pot.

I put it on low, cover it, and do not look at it, or touch it or God Forbid......lift the lid. :LOL2:

6 hours later I slowly turn the butt over and let it go for another 6 hours.

At the 12 hour mark it will pull apart into nothing. So I slowly remove it from the crock pot and put it in a pan. I break it all apart with 2 forks. I dump all the remains of the crock pot out. I then throw the pulled pork back into the crock pot add all the BBQ sauce I feel it needs(sweet baby rays or KCMasterpiece with honey and Garlic :wink: ) dice up a small onion, mix it all in & keep it on low and serve. It can sit in the crock pot on low for at least a couple of hours I would say. Even if you shut off the crock pot, it will stay very warm because of the ceramic pot.

So simple a caveman can do it. The beauty of a crock pot is you can start this whole process at midnight and have it ready for noon lunch, or like me can start it at 4AM and have it ready for dinner.

Sounds tasty Jim! Thanks for sharing. I will need to try out your recipe on the next one, which probably won't be for awhile. I'm still eating pork from this Sunday's feast :-&

njTom said:
Brine said:
Jim said:

Wishing I was watching the superbowl at Jim's.

x2

I was in the same position last year and i just went and picked up a cheap 50 dollar smoker at home depot. i "modified" it a little to better suit my needs but i can do things on that little guy than some can do with a full size offset smoker... example: cook 10-11 hours on less than one bag of Royal Oak lump charcoal. Google: El cheapo brinkman mods or ECB mods. I have a total of about 65 dollars in mine... (Brinkman (50) and a sad little table charcoal grill at walmart that gave its life to the cause (~10) and a thermometer with actual temp reading

Latest posts