Switch question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott85

Reaction score
I'm installing a light bar on my boat and I got a cheap switch for it at advance. It's a 3 prong, earth I know is negative but my question is do I run the negative off the light and negative off the battery together and then to the prong?
2099e1ddbf364d3672846a6bc7e04ba8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

positive wire from batt to supply

load goes to your new LED light bar

earth (or ground) is so the switch lights up when on. you really don't need it for the light bar to work.

Would that be a 12" OSRAM LED bar by chance? Put one on my console this fall. So far, I'm happy with it. I'd recommend blue Locktite on the mounting screws.
86856811-6240-4f99-8f0b-0a68edbf2d6a_zps6thmpcqs.jpg

If you wired the light bar ground thru that switch then ditch that switch. Im not a fan of cheap China switches especially the ones with an LED in them. They melt inside and short. Get a straight on off switch rated for enough amps to run the light bar. Bigger the better on switches. Ground the light bar directly to the battery ground and do the same with a separate ground from the switch ground if you use a lighted switch. Go from positive battery to the switch. From the switch go to the red wire on the light bar. If you still blow fuses then put in a slightly bigger fuse. Worse than China switches are China fuses. They are junk. Still blows then suspect bad light bar. Test it by running test wires directly to a battery.

Thanks, the light runs fine when hooked up to the battery. I really think the switch was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts