tarpaper between hull and transom wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
I tore my rotten transom off my 61 alumacraft queen Merrie. Between the wood and the hull was a very sticky tarpaper substance. What should I replace this with when I put on my new transom wood.I planned on sealing all the bolt holes with 5200 but do I really need a sheet of something in there?.

I wouldn’t think so since the wood was rotten I am assuming they didn’t use pressure treated wood, that would be the only reason to use the tar paper that I could see. Be sure to seal the new wood with epoxy or a good quality varnish.

I have seen where pontoon boats will have a rubber strip to isolate the aluminum from the PT wood decking.

No, you don't need anything. My guess is that someone replaced the transom already and used treated wood. They used that to keep the wood from touching the aluminum.

You don't need any kind of material between them.

That's good news then. What a mess that was. An hour with a putty knife and some kerosene. Is cedar toosoft for transom wood? Id prefer it matched the cedar floor I'm putting in.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351677#p351677 said:
craveman85 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:48 am[/url]"]That's good news then. What a mess that was. An hour with a putty knife and some kerosene. Is cedar toosoft for transom wood? Id prefer it matched the cedar floor I'm putting in.
Yes, use exterior grade plywood not pressure treated wood.

What about hardwood plywood they have at Lowes. I have a sheet of 1" laying around. With the proper sealing of course.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351830#p351830 said:
craveman85 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm[/url]"]What about hardwood plywood they have at Lowes. I have a sheet of 1" laying around. With the proper sealing of course.
If it's an interior grade plywood it wasn't made with a waterproof glue. It might work for a while but any water intrusion will delaminate the plies very quickly.

Is there anything clear that I can seal wood with that's UV resistant? I'd really like to keep bothe the inner and outer transom wood unpainted. Also really wouldn't like to use plywood.my wood is only 12" high and 1" thick so Icould easily get dimensional lumber. I have access to dirt cheap kiln dried ash that I could also use but I'd have to make my own boards from 3" wide pieces and biscuits. (Rawlings bat factory scraps.

Plywood is better then pine 2x4,2x6 type lumber. I don't know about using ash but biscuits and tite bond III glue are fine.

I meant dimensional hardwood board. I could laminate enough ash or other things or buy some hardwoods in my 1x12 size. Don't knock pine. It wasn't referred to as the kings wood for nothing lol.

Latest posts