The best bones

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhole

Reaction score
I plan to retire in two years. Our plan is to buy a trawler and cruise the Bahamas for a couple of months before we start on the Great American Loop adventure towing a deep V behind. I've owned a 16'ss Starcraft and gutted my 21' Starcraft for a full rebuild. I enjoy rebuilding boats. I intend to find a 16-17' walk-through and gut her to replace and raise the floor up a few inches as well as a few other mods. My only experience is with Starcraft. Does someone else have better bones? Sea Nympth, Monarch, Crestliner or are they all about the same as far as construction? I've been trying to beat my buddy out of his 17 Sea Nympth for a couple of years and he won't come off of it. The Sea Nympth seems to be a little deeper than the old Starcraft that I had. But, IDK.
I appreciate all your comments
Fox

You really need to define the length you want. I will say I had a Lund Tyee 18' and the gunnel height was to my mid-thigh, MUCH taller than any other 18' tin boat in its size. It was also a deep-V hull and some Tyee lengths are double-hulled at the front, for strength.

But I would not raise the floor, as that will increase instability. If using the skiff on that southern jaunt, you'll be crossing some offhshore waters. I myself would probably opt for a frp hull, albeit heavier.

GOOD POINTS!! Yes, I should have given a better explanation. I'm thinking 16-18' and as deep as reasonable. Raising the floor just above the water line is to make it self-bailing like a whaler style with some scuppers added at the transom. But you are right about stability. I have considered the open water challenge and agreed you will have a couple of open water areas where you don't have a choice. In that case, being retired you will just have to wait out a few days for a good weather window. But towing at displacement speeds of a trawler does simplify things a bit. Roughly 90% of the trip is all inland rivers and canals.

Look at an older Starcraft Islander (22') you will find them to be deeper/ higher sides due to the cuddy cabin...Neighbor has a walk thru and I had an Islander, easy to see how much deeper the Islander really is!!! Have saw a couple mods where the cabin was removed but the high sides were left in place...or...you might want the cuddy cabin !!

Look at an older Starcraft Islander (22') you will find them to be deeper/ higher sides due to the cuddy cabin...Neighbor has a walk thru and I had an Islander, easy to see how much deeper the Islander really is!!! Have saw a couple mods where the cabin was removed but the high sides were left in place...or...you might want the cuddy cabin !!
Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of. I was hoping to go a little smaller but that could be a very good option. Did they build the islander in a smaller model than a 22?
Thx

To the best of my knowledge the 22' ( actually 21' plus ) and in later years they made a 19' , but not sure if they were as deep as the 22' models. Sylvan ( made by Starcraft) also made a 21 and a 19' model, they look almost identical... Just stay away from any that had the OMC drive, while rare, there were some outboard models made in both the 22 and the 19' models

To the best of my knowledge the 22' ( actually 21' plus ) and in later years they made a 19', but not sure if they were as deep as the 22' models. Sylvan ( made by Starcraft) also made a 21 and a 19' model, they look almost identical... Just stay away from any that had the OMC drive, while rare, there were some outboard models made in both the 22 and the 19' models
The 21 I had was a closed-bow Starcraft. I made it a walkthrough. It was very deep. It may have been an islander. This one had a lot of damage. The bow would actually flex and pop back in heavy waves.

The 21 I had was a closed-bow Starcraft. I made it a walkthrough. It was very deep. It may have been an islander. This one had a lot of damage. The bow would actually flex and pop back in heavy waves.
The Islander had a cuddly cabin and deeper than the covered bow or walk thru's. The sides of the cabin carried to the back of the boat making the sides taller than other models.

Latest posts