The Dubs 14/36 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theyyounggun said:
Looks Good! Im from Conway. Its been hottttt!

Way too hot, since I work on the boat in the day and earn a paycheck at night my progress has been a bit stiffled. Maybe i should quit being such a wuss, suck it up and get some work done.

Doubles

Doubles said:
theyyounggun said:
Looks Good! Im from Conway. Its been hottttt!

Way too hot, since I work on the boat in the day and earn a paycheck at night my progress has been a bit stiffled. Maybe i should quit being such a wuss, suck it up and get some work done.

Doubles
haha

very nice! I like the livewell placement and thanks for the heads up on the plano storage. I think i may have to use a few of those on my boat.

In keeping with my recent tradition and summer pace... here is my every 2 month post. Progress continues, I'd like to pick up the pace and get it done in the near future; possible catch a fishing day before it gets too cold. Thus far the plan has come together very well, no complaints or regrets. Hope to be laying carpet next weekend.

Maybe if I spent more time on the boat and less time catching catfish on bass lures I'd be closer to complete.

Attachments

• Boat5.JPG
    Boat5.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 818
  • Boat4.JPG
    Boat4.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 818
  • Boat3.JPG
    Boat3.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 818
  • Boat2.JPG
    Boat2.JPG
    537 KB · Views: 818
  • Boat1.JPG
    Boat1.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 818
  • Not a bass.JPG
    Not a bass.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 818
Current progress... coming together as planned so far.

Attachments

• Boat2.JPG
    Boat2.JPG
    640.8 KB · Views: 799
  • Boat3.JPG
    Boat3.JPG
    764.5 KB · Views: 799
  • Boat4.JPG
    Boat4.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 799
  • Boat5.JPG
    Boat5.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 799
  • Boat6.JPG
    Boat6.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 799
  • Boat7.JPG
    Boat7.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 799
Boat is looking good, and judging by the background of the catfish pic, you've had more rain in Cabot than we've had in my part of the state.

Thanks for the complements, friends. Yes, we have had quite a bit of rain in the last month, it has been nice.

DD

Couldn't wait any longer, I had to take her out on her maiden voyage despite her carpetless hatches.

Attachments

• First Catch.jpg
    First Catch.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 728
  • Pick up the wife.jpg
    Pick up the wife.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 728
  • Not Sinking.jpg
    Not Sinking.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 728
  • Boat2.JPG
    Boat2.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Boat1.JPG
    Boat1.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 728
Looks nice. I have to ask though how is the weight with all the 2x4's and stuff ? I am about to start putting allot more upgrades into my boat just dont want toweigh it down to much.

Swamp,

I used 2x3s for frame support (I think 2x4s are overkill, some would argue that 2x3s are overkill); 3/4 ply for decking; and 1/4 ply for walls. You can see from the pictures that it still isn't drafting too much water. I was impressed with the stability, rocking the boat back and forth (knock on wood) it would be extremely difficult to swamp it. If in doubt, I suggest doing the math:

The bouyancy provided is equal to the weight of the water displaced, I conservatively used 60lbs/sqft (quick internet search says 62.4) of displaced water in my calculations. So then it comes down to how much do you want your boat to draft and how many cubic feet are displaced at that level of draft. To simplify it figure out the square footage of the bottom of your boat (that portion that will be under the water); lets say you come up with 36 feet (12x3); if I am willing to draft 6 inches then I need two square feet to draft one cubic foot; to only draft 4 inches I would need 3 square feet for each cubic foot, etc. Now that everyone knows how much of a nerd that I am... three arguments for going full nerd; 1. Work smarter not harder; the alternative is that an aversion to math requires putting all of your building materials or equivilent weight and doing a test float to predetermine the outcome 2. I didn't want to be surprised about the flotation/draft/stability the first day that I took her out 3. All those years of sitting painfully through math classes have got to be worth something.

By the way, nice spoonbill...

Hope that helps,
DD

Mostly, and it is awesome. I have some winter work to do on it to wrap it up: plumb the livewell, hinges, etc. But she has been fishing a ton.

I put in a boat launch on the water so that I don't have the trailer sitting at the waters edge all the time. Pretty simple, just two bunks and a winch.

Boat8.JPG

DD

Latest posts