The Flats Tracker Project (1983 Bass Tracker) FINISHED

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying this thread, partly because I think I saw that boat on CL...I check the mobile and pensacola cl every day even though I'm not in the market for a boat. Looks like you are doing a great job.

Made a little progress on the boat this long weekend. Finally got the jack plate and motor installed.
basstracker048.jpg

Then came the livewell. In the original layout of the back deck it ran bow to stern in between the drivers seat and passenger seat. With the new layout it will be port to starboard and will be used as the seat. After a little plumbing work I think its gonna work like I wanted. I also had to drill 9 rivets out during tear down so i had to get those sealed back up as well. Some small stainless bolts and 5200 done the trick.

basstracker050.jpg

basstracker049.jpg

basstracker052.jpg

I have been trying to figure out for the last couple of weeks what to do about the center console. Well the other day it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had an old beat up truck tool box in my alum scrap pile and after some modification it produced a good start to a console. Gonna re-enforce it will plywood and make the top out of Mahogany (boat will have several accents made form Mah)

basstracker053.jpg

basstracker054.jpg

basstracker055.jpg

After a wash with Luma-Brite and I cut it down another 4".
basstracker056.jpg

basstracker057.jpg

That is a great idea...... there are a lot of them old tool box's laying around too!! :mrgreen:
GREAT JOB =D>

Boat is looking great, rook. I saw the boat pics on ACFA a little while ago. Smart thinking with the toolbox!

Also...Nice meat haul from the marsh! Sad to think about what's in the future for the coast, especially over there.

yak_n_fish

Got the top to my console started today. Got the mahogany glued up this morning. By this afternoon it was ready to plane, kerf, biscuit and glue up. still have a little work to do on it after it comes out of the clamps in the morning but a good start.

basstracker068.jpg

After planing and kerfed to allow top to fit over Alum.
basstracker069.jpg

basstracker070.jpg

A couple of biscuits and some Gorilla glue and it will be as strong as one solid piece by morning.
basstracker071.jpg

basstracker072.jpg

Got the console finished up today for the most part. Got one more coat of varnish to put on, which will matke 1 coat of sanding sealer and 4 coats of Jack Tar (Marine Spar Varnish). Now to figure out how to make my controls work with the center console. I ended up adding a slat across the inside to mount all my switches and help keep them out of the weather for the most part.

basstracker073.jpg

basstracker074.jpg

basstracker075.jpg

basstracker077.jpg

I had some help with the painting on the console.
basstracker080.jpg

Finished Console

basstracker081.jpg

basstracker083.jpg

Nice looking rig. Original use of a old tool box. I like the color, what brand paint and what color did you use? My brother did one of those old Bass Trackers a couple of years ago, I really like fishing out of it. Getting to be several of us Alabama Tinboaters on here.

Flintcreek.

rook said:
I'm digging the pipe clamps with the feet on them. I can't even mention the number of times I have been single handedly biscuiting/gluing something, and the %&$* clamps wouldn't stand upright long enough to get everything aligned and tightened, especially when balancing over the edge of a bench, as the handles won't turn otherwise.

Heck yeah...... lovin that you brung in the woodworking. I'll give ya a tip about your clamps, I see ya got glue all over em. I always put a strip of masking tape on mine, that way the clamp slides up and down the pipe cleanly for life. Great job on the project, and good choice on the correct finish... to much bad info out there on poly being acceptable.

Alright guys wish me luck. I gots me a LA Saltwater Series redfish tourny on saturday and as of yesterday my fish are still in the same area. Got a 55 mile run one way to get to them but they are tourny winning fish. Gonna try and check on them tomm on the way into La. Cross your fingers they stay for two more days, and they need to be hungry too. Nothin worse than spotting and casting to fat fish and then get completely ignored. Its like watching a $2500.00 check swim away from your lure.

Good Luck rook!

I'll be pulling for the check to bite!

Time to start putting it back together. Got some carpet and electrical done over the last couple of days. Also got the livewell in place and secured. Im havng to wait on some parts for my throttle box and steering before I can get the console complete and the floor down. Hopefully they will be here sometime next week.

basstracker084.jpg

basstracker085.jpg

basstracker086.jpg

basstracker087.jpg

basstracker088.jpg