The Sea Monkey ** updated 5/8/09 **

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shizzy77

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just stumbled upon this GREAT forum and figured I share a few picks of my love.

After a few years of fishing out of friends boats I decided it was time for me to get my own. as much as I would have liked a big fancy Bass boat, My wallet and tow vehicle said no. I had been working some major overtime so I had a few Bucks stashed and had been casually keeping my eyes peeled for something for the right size and price. One of my good friends called me and told me his next door neighbor had just rolled a boat outside and put a for sale sign on it and I NEEDED to come over right now and take a look.

It was a simple aluminum Job with no motor. looked to be in great shape and struck up a conversation with the owner once he walked outside. Its a 68 Alumacraft, not a dent or scratch on it. He told me it doesnt leak a drop and he has a 6HP Johnson he can drop in a barrel and fire up for me. Boat with original oars, titled trailer and Motor for $750 8) Needless to say I forgot to call the Misses and tell her I was buying a boat until I already had the boat hooked to my truck.

the first thing I noticed was the plate on the transom stating "max horsepower 40HP" :shock:
So I did a little research. Its an Alumacraft FD. Apparently its a very well put together boat, which explains its ability to handle 40HP.

first thing I did was put new wheel bearings on the trailer, repainted and put new lights and wiring on it. I took the boat out a few times, but wasnt real happy with how it was set up. no place to store things and hot bare aluminum seats.

here are a few pics of it the day I bought it.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

how many 44 year old boats look this good?

IMG_1408.jpg

I decided I wanted to remove the Bow cover and install a casting deck and maybe sme added storage.

I swiped some leftover plywood from work, used a couple of 4 x 8 I/O rugs that were on sale for cheap at menards and got to work. Its not the greatest and will probably be removed and replaced this season, but it workd wonderfuly. I only had about $40 in to the whole works including hinges, hasps, padlocks and carpet.

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

I also covered the rear two seats with carpet. Im not real happy with my one piece hinged casting deck, but it works for now.

I am happy as a clam with my "Sea Monkey" and had it out 3-5 times a week all last summer and caught plenty of fish. I gave the Old Johnson (its a 1965) a once over and it now starts with 1-2 pulls and idles down like a new motor. I found a 40LB Minnkota trolling motor so Im all set. I have friends with much newer, bigger and faster boats, but they all tell me they wish they had mine. :D

all said and done, im still under $1000 and having a blast. Did I mention I love my boat?

almost forgot.....

Is it a sickness when your truck feels strange because your boat ISN'T hooked up to your truck?

IMG_14272.jpg

Nice old boat. I like what you did at the bow. I saved the picture on my pc and may do something similar with my 14' V-Hull. I was tossing some ideas, as I want to put the battery up front, your idea may be the solution to that and some storage area.
Good luck with the boat and thanks for posting.
Larry

SWEET - another Alumacraft - we are taking over!

Nice boat - I like the side storage that you've got there... gives me an idea for a few things

If I had to pick the one best boat ever made, it would be the early Alumacraft FDs. I saw you on iboats the other day. You know, river-runner on there has the version of that without the bow cover (I hate to see that removed on such a beautiful boat :cry: and he hates it worse than I), and he runs either a 'Rude 4 deluxe, 25 Johnny, or a 40 merc. He says that thing flies with the 40, and I bet he is probably exceeding 40 mph in it.

Hey Waterwings. Have I ever mentioned, we have an Alumacraft out back. :D :lol:
It is an '87 18 foot Super Bandit bass boat. It is currently sitting on blocks, with the trailer, stripped down, in the woods, awaiting dad or me to have the funding or time to put into it.
Heres a few shots of it from fall of '07, when we got it.
HPIM1337.jpg

HPIM1338.jpg

Just though you might want to know. :lol: :lol:

Zum said:
Welcome aboard.
Nice boat.
How hard was it to remove the bow section?
Thanks Guys. Like I said, Im in love with my little Sea Monkey. I can troll in to about a foot of water and then get out and pull the boat in to some great back water spots and smaller creeks most larger boats wouldnt even think of.

Removing the Bow cover was rather simple. It was held on with 6 screws. there was no damage done to the boat in removing it and Its stored safely in my garage. I have done no real damage to the boat with all the mods I have done. just a few screw holes. I figured it survived 44 years so who am I to start hacking it up. The cover was kind of a waste of space since I have tiller steering and 99% of the time I am fishing.

Bassboy, I have drooled over pics of River-Runner's boat. his is in much better shape then mine.

LarryA, keep in mind my casting deck is one piece and hinges at the front. its kind of heavy to lift and when out on the water you need to remove everything from on top to open it. Its not an Ideal setup, but was a simple solution and only took me a few hours.

I would like to change the casting deck to a better setup and put a flat floor in it, but I currently have a 6HP outboard, so that will all have to wait untill I get a Motor with some more oomph.

Bassboy, I have drooled over pics of River-Runner's boat. his is in much better shape then mine.
I have been trying to buy one like his for years. Can't seem to convince anybody that they need to sell them. What would be really nice is an Alumacraft FDR, the Flying D runabout. It has the same bow cover as yours, but in most cases, it has a center divider, with seats for an aft of it, and once I have seen one with aft steering.

bassboy1 said:
I have been trying to buy one like his for years. Can't seem to convince anybody that they need to sell them. What would be really nice is an Alumacraft FDR, the Flying D runabout. It has the same bow cover as yours, but in most cases, it has a center divider, with seats for an aft of it, and once I have seen one with aft steering.

I'd like to see a pic of River-Runner's rig. Sounds like a nice rig!

Wasn't there another person who posted a boat similar to this one and he removed the bow as well?I don't think he did much damage either.

bassboy1 said:

funny how it goes. I was just looking for an affordable boat and one drops in my lap. I have a friend with one as well. found it for sale on the same block I got mine.

shizzy77 said:
bassboy1 said:

funny how it goes. I was just looking for an affordable boat and one drops in my lap. I have a friend with one as well. found it for sale on the same block I got mine.
That is what is driving me nuts. I see a lot of people who have those, and it is just because they are looking for a good fishing boat. I had an amount of cash stowed away for a while in search of one of those, and I couldn't find one to save my life.

He runs a combination of 3 different outboards, and 2 trolling motors on that rig. Look at post 3 and post 7 on this page for pictures of his rig.
https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251198&highlight=alumacraft
Post number 9 on this page has a couple good shots of his rig as well. In the first picture, it has more propulsion on it....
https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=206281&highlight=alumacraft
He loves keeping them real original, and at one point last year, mentioned that that the trailer is the one that came with the boat, back in '60 something when he got it, and that even the tires are originals that came with it.

I found a 1963 Johnson 18HP on CL last week and went last night to go check it out. The guy said it runs but doesnt idle well. he was willing to put it in a barrel and run it for me. It fired right up and as he stated wouldnt idle but it ran great at higher RPM's and shifted in and out of all gears smoothly. He had not messed with the carb at all so I figured that would be all it would take. There was some water in the L/U but the drain plugs were missing their washers so more then likley its just like my 6HP was.

I talked him down from $200 to $165. that includes a 6gallon tank and hose. The best part is he had all the controls and console for the motor on his John boat (16'er?) and said he had no use for them and would take them off and give them to me. :) its the old cable steer setup and im sure the cables are too long, but I said sure thing. for now Im just going to run it with the tiller and maybe down the road look in to putting the steering and box on it.

Today I possibly found the idle issue. when they put the remote controls on the motor they moved the tiller handle gear so the teeth were not contacting the gear on the vertical shaft. the P.O. had the controls disconnected and the tiller handle was not corrected. I took the handle apart and realigned everything. I havent ran it yet but Im hoping that corrects the issue.

here is a pic of the "new" unit. the boat it came off was a duck boat so Ill need to repaint the hood.

IMG_1597.jpg

All in all it seems like a decent motor. Its not much to look at and had a half dozen Mickey Mouse repairs that I already corrected. As much as I love my little 6 Horse, its just not enough with what decking I have and all my gear. add a second guy and forgetabout it. The 18 should get this thing moving nicely.